What is "Street Photography" ?

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by MrAndMrsIzzy, Aug 14, 2020.

1. many call it candid photography. But the idea that it is "random photography" unplanned, unsetup.... excludes many too street photographs that were not very spontaneous.
    As Moving On alludes to we create categories. Maybe for convenience maybe something deeper but in a genre such as street photography the borders are porous. As such it is loose, open to take it where you want. And for the viewer to take it from there and file it as they see fit. Calling it street photography helps you find it in the cabinet.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    mikemorrell likes this.
  2. Amen!

3. Btw, one if the file folders in the cabinet is labeled 'found photography'. ie literally found photos. Often anonymous and recovered from obscurity.
    Just a headsup....
    It made perfect sense in the context you used found images in your opening.

4. Well! What I meant was you're someplace and see something you think would make a good image so you take a pic and hope that you got what you saw (so to speak).
    That said, obviously the expressions "found image", "found photography", found photograph", etc. could be used in the sense you described also

mikemorrell likes this.
  5. My writing comprehension may need some work!
    What i am saying is your opening made perfect sense to me.
    no slight. I was simply adding a poi. that found photography is a photography genre.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  6. No slight taken and the point is a good one!

7. Interestingly enough, a corollary, and perhaps contrast, to this is that you hope that you got more, less, or something other than what you saw. Street photography, like all other photography, not only has the power to memorialize but also has the power, in many instances, to transform ... and to become metaphor.

I can't explain why exactly, and it might be the type of photo an explanation couldn't do justice, but below I've linked to one of my favorite street photos, by Brassai. No doubt this is what he saw, but I also think he photographed between the lines and gave it a kind of photographic life it didn't originally have.

BRASSAI

8. Atmosphere!

9. One-word descriptions just aren't enough for me. I think "atmosphere" is certainly part of it, but there's so much more than that. Like I said, I just keep reading between the lines and discovering many secrets.

10. the [suggestion].. he was so damn good at it.

To me, photography must suggest, not insist or explain.
    Brassaï

11. And, indeed, even "suggestive" is suggestive of many different things, some more literal, some less so.

Brassai, Paris, 1932

12. Nice distinction. Good take away from Brassai's work. He had a way of giving space to the viewer while staying intimate with his selection and handling of the subject.​

13. High fluting words indeed.

Rare that a photograph does not lend itself to the viewers imagination. A moment of time, nothing before, nothing after.

Just that little moment in time for the imagination to play with.

14. lnoneeye/Dennis;))

Is that you, with the sweeping hair, back in the day:)

15. Captured this one a few hours ago. DUMBO (for those who may not know) is the acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. It's a waterfront neighborhood in or near (depending on your point of view) downtown Brooklyn. Used to be warehouses, factories, etc. The warehouses and factories etc. have been repurposed to upscale shopping places, eateries, living spaces, galleries, etc. This guy was near one of the eateries.

D082120LMX011-1SmallPnet.jpg

16. Bruce Gilden and Vivian Maier. I think those two embody what street photography means.

mikemorrell likes this.