What do you use to mix processing chemicals?

OK, I have a roll of Tri-X in the camera, a package of D76, and a

package of fixer. I was planning on taking my first stab at

developing film this weekend. How should I mix the chemicals? Do

you have separate pots that you use to heat the water to the required

temp and mix the powder and water in? Or do you just use your

everyday cookware, cleaning carefully afterwards?

Thanks, and I'm sure this is merely the first of many questions I

will be asking over the next couple of days...

I use a plastic bucket for mixing. For most photo chemicals you can blend hot and cold tap water to get the right temperature. If you need still hotter water than that you can heat it on the stove in one of your cooking utensils and then pour it into the plastic bucket. I use a "free" and flimsy bucket that originally contained 5 quarts of store brand chocolate ice cream.

Buy two 1l PE-measuring jugs and label them "Developer" and "Fixer". I only use distilled water to mix developers, it removes one variable from the whole game. To make 1l developer, heat one mug water (about 250ml) until it cooks and add it to about 1/2l cold water in your measure jug. The mixture has about the correct temperature to add the powdered chemicals. Follow the instructions on the package.

Fixer can be mixed with cold tap water.

Martin

You may want to keep your chemicals into bottles that'll be devotd to them. And mix then in plastic container (wide mouth) that you'll use for this. I wouldn't use everyday kitchenware (unless I wanted to be killed by my wife).

I have my own set of measuring cups, plastic bowls/bottles, etc for this purpose.

You can heat the water in any container though, either in the stovetop or microwave, but when mixing use a special container for your chemicals.

You may want to mix everything in a wide mouth container (plastic is fine) usong 1/2 to 2/3 of the volume of water. Then put it in the bottle, and wash the mix-container with small amounts of water 2 or 3 times, then top the bottle to volume.

Wash you containers very well after mixing one and before adding the other, 5 or 6 changes of water should be enough.

From then on... have fun!!!!

I just use large Pyrex meauring cups (bowls?) that are easy to find at the grocery store. A one liter and a two liter size will handle about anything. Metal containers are taboo! A good thermometer and hot and cold tap water is all you need. If you use distilled water, you can always heat it in the Pyrex with the microwave. You will need something to stir it with. A plastic spoon is good and you will need bottles for storage. Clear glass is ok if stored in the dark. You don't need anything special when useing pre-packaged chemicals. It's a very good idea to keep all utensils used for chemicals marked "photo use only" and store them away from your kitchen utensils. Have fun and good luck --

When I was starting this hobby many years ago, someone advised me to use a 1 gallon glass jug for mixing. I placed the starting amount of water at the correct temp, poured the powder in and rolled the bottle back and forth (slowly) on the counter. It added very little air to the mixture and it was easy to see when everything went into suspension. I eventually bought proper gear (magnetic heater/mixer, etc) but this was a good way to start with easy to obtain vessels. Use 16oz plastic soda bottles with minimal air space left at the top for storage until you acquire labware. As others have stated, use dedicated mixing containers to avoid cross-contamination issues.

For developer I use an electric drill and a small metal and plastic paint stirrer to mix. As for a mixing container I use a plastic gallon milk jug that I have cut a hole in just big enough to get the mixer and powder into it easily. It keeps the splashing from being a problem. Paint mixer was a buck or two at Home Depot, plastic jug was free. I store chemicals in the dark bottles made for darkroom chemicals. I buy fixer and stop bath in liquid so they mix easy just stirring with a paint paddle. (Yes I'm in the painting business)

Eight people and eight ways to do it, probably more to come. I use glass gallon jugs. For 1 gal chemistry packages, I use hot water from the tap and fill the jug to 3/4 gallon. Add the chemistry slowly, while swirling the liquid in the jug. When it's fully dissolved, I top up to exactly 1 gallon and stick a neoprene stopper in the top. As far as exact amounts and temperatures, whatever it says on the package is the rule. BTW, use a 1 quart measuring cup, fill the jugs with water, and mark the level with tape. That way you know how much to fill to- most solutions are mixed to final volume as opposed to adding chemicals to the final volume. It's a small difference, but you should do it right.

An old trick I learned many years ago was to use cheesecloth.

You put your chemical in the cheesecloth, make a "bag" with it and dip it into water in a wide mouth container (sort of a big tea-bag). The solution has greater density and goes down, while fresh water is always accesing the chemiclas.

Just leave them for a couple of hours (I used to do this overnight) and then add water to top your bottles.

Quite useful to mix Hypo.

My advice is to get one of the many excellent liquid developers, along with Ilford rapid

fixer and a pair of beakers to dilute them in. Mixing Kodak fixer -- while being a rite of

passage into darkroom work -- is one of the most miserable experiences I can think of.

Plus by not mixing powders you'll be eliminating one very big variable as you learn to

develop film. Anyway, that's the advice I wish someone had given me when I was starting

out, so good luck!

The size of some of these containers sounds a little small IMO based on the pkts of D76 I've used (I think it makes 3.8L?) Check how much you want to mix up and get a bucket big enough plus a bit so you can stir and it won't spill over the sides. I use a std gen. purpose bucket (50cents) that doubles as a storage container for my devl tank and associated stuff. You'll need a smaller measuring vessel to dilute the stock solution to working, say a 1lt container.

So Conrad, 8 ways plus their metric equivalents :)

I usually use the 1 gallon or 5 litre size powder mixes so 2 small plastic buckets (capacity about 10 L), a plastic slotted spoon, and a measuring cup from the discount store serve me well. Total investment of under $10. Start with about 2/3 the required amount of water in one bucket. Mix in the powdered chemicals. Measure the final amount by pouring it from the first bucket into the measuring cup and into the second bucket. Add the remainder of water as required and finally decant into plastic soda bottles. No need for expensive labware. The key is consistency rather than absolute accuracy. An ounce or two off in a gallon or more of working solution is of no real consequence as long as it is the same every time.

>Ladislav Loewenstein, III , apr 01, 2004; 04:41 p.m.

>Platinum crucibles.....

Hans is such a comedian!

Gary, a couple of things:

1. Don't breathe the dust.

2. Don't mix in vessels used for food/drink.

3. Always mark what is in your containers.

4. Keep 'em away from kids.

5. Chemicals can stain hands/floor/clothing, etc.

Have fun...

I have a few accurate graduated cylinders for the critical measurments but other than that I use 1 litre plastic jugs bought from the local supermarket. I use filtered water and heat the water in the microwave to the required temperature - 1 minute in a 500 watt microwave raises 1 litre of water by 6 degrees celsius).