What are the exact dimensions of a Leica negative?

Troll

<p>I'm guessing there is probably some minor variation from the production of the 1st Leica to the present time...so it would be useful to specify a particular model, as well as the lens in question.</p>

<p>Bill - probably Gus L will jump in with the wealth of his experience. But here are my thoughts (not scientific facts) - The M3 had a couple of variants, such as the one for postal service which I think produced a half or 3/4 frame type negative around 24x27mm. But assuming the normal consumer M3, besides possible light spreading from lens choice, I recall that earlier production models used a glass film pressure plate (thru 1957 or around #854000) to hold the film flat against the rails...I would think that possibly there might be some light spread at the edges in some circumstances, or even with the use of the metal plate, if the spring holding it to press the film against the rail had weakened with age. Other than that, I would stick with the published negative dimensions of 24 x 36mm. Out of curiosity, what is the nature of the question...are you encountering difficulty (like spill over) in printing with a standard negative mask?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Lining up two uncut rolls of developed film, one from each camera, would clarify the issue. Frankly, I think the no. of frames per roll would be the same. Mounting of slide film like Kodachrome would probably have been partly automated fairly early, and then D&P for colour print film, likewise. This would have relied on a certain no. of sprocket holes per frame, and sprocket holes on 35mm have always been the same.<br>

I never had a problem with D&P for a Leica II. In more recent times, however, the frames from an M3 almost met when I used a 12mm Voigtlander and did confuse the machine.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Very Interesting question... Question was about dimensions exposed on film, not space between the frames.<br />I just measured the size of the frame of some random cameras.<br /> <strong>Minolta SRT</strong>, <strong>XE</strong> and <strong>XG</strong> got exactly 24x36mm window. <br /> <strong>Voigtlander Vito BL, Agfa Super Silette, and Konica FS-1</strong> got little smaller window.<br /> <strong>Yashica Electro GT</strong>'s window is little smaller and it's 23.7x35,45mm.<br /> By the way, I would really love to have the frames scanned from A to Z, that means with all the borders produced naturally by the camera... <br /> Still don't know why scanners don't scan 100% of the image with some of that black area around the frame... I don't think it's because of prints in mind, professional scanner costs fortune and are designed for professionals... I asked at three laboratories and they can't do anything about it...<br /> Any thoughts on that?</p>

• 3 months later...