wedding in maui

memphis1

<p>a friend called me and asked if i'd photograph his wedding --- it's a wedding in december... in Maui... airfare, food and lodging paid --- no charge for the wedding photography services .... and i can telecommute to work that week so... I'm going to have a great christmas.... i will be wearing the appropriate Hawaiian shirts<br />gonna be digging on some poi<br /><br /><br />now...I'll certainly carry the d3 and the 80-200/2.8, the 50/1.4, not sure what other lenses to rent or buy -- many of my lenses are big and bulky --- i'll carry the konika hexar af just for good measure -- <br /><br />i need to get a bunch of cf cards... i need to get a new suitcase... <br /><br />any tips? any places to steer them for portraits?</p>

<p><br />I'm also thinking of my landscape work -- here's the kit so far:<br />nikon d3<br />24-120 streetsweeper<br />50/1.4 ais or the 50/1.8 d OR 60mm micro 2.8 - may take that and the ring flash instead of the 50's --- could prove more versatile<br />80-200 2.8<br />500 mirror<br />fisheye just in case<br />think i'll leave the 75-300 as it's heavy and slow<br />2 flashes with cable to slave them<br />bunches of cf cards<br />ir converted point and shoot<br />nikon f5 for backup<br /><br />so many decisions- -- do i need a pelican hard case, or will a good soft bag do me well....</p>

<p>Hmmm, not bad being stuck on Maui over Xmas. If you can, try getting there a day or two before the wedding so you can check out various locations. I like the black rocks for contrast on the road to Hana. There are many many beaches, so it depends if you want the palm trees as part of the scenery. Then, there is always the volcano too (lots to choose).</p>

<p>I'd have enough cards to cover 1500 shots....and download them (w/external hard drive copies). If you are not taking a laptop then be sure you cover enough shots that covers your style. </p>

<p>As to lenses, the 24-120, 60 and 80-200...and you are covering pretty much everything. I'd take the 50/1.8 just in case you'd need it for low light. My attitude is "less is more" and no need to overload on lenses that you will likely not use. Much depends on light that's inside. If you're going to do lots of portraits, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to rent an 85/1.8 or buy a relatively cheap 105/2.5 AIS (manual). For the most part you may need a 30-35mm lens (low light), that your 24-120 zoom is able to deliver but with relative noise and increased ISO's.....so you may want to consider this. If you shoot wide (18-24mm), then that's something to consider too. I'd also rent another digi camera (w/increased dynamic range) such as D800/E or D610 and use it in conjunction with your D3. This way you can cover different views without having to change lenses. But, do test any equipment you may rent. What about tripod, are you taking that ? What out cable release (or electronic type ?) </p>

<p>There are rental vendors on the island....so I would check for availability of eq that you may want to use. You can also rent it from vendors here (conus) and return it from the island.</p>

<p>I'd use a soft bag that's light and comfortable...and particularly easily accessible. Just make sure that each piece of equipment is adequately protected/padded.</p>

<p>Anyhoo, be cognizant of the beach sand and enjoy this excursion. </p>

<p>Les</p>

<p> </p>