WASHING AID

tammy_kocurek

• 2 weeks later...

If I may, a more precise question might have been, "What is the value

of washing aid?", or "What is the purpose of washing aid?"

<p>

To which there would be more of a response.

<p>

A washing aid will shorten the time required in the wash, without

reducing the effect of the wash.

<p>

Remember, this is just one persons opinion.

No a wash aid doesn't make a neg more permanent _assuming the wash is otherwise sufficient_.

What a wash aid can do is make a shorter wash sufficient, and it can greatly aid in removing the leftover magenta/purple sensitizing dyes used in many modern films. You don't have to fix the film forever to get rid of the dyes.

To make an inexpensive wash aid, dissolve about a tablespoon of sodium sulfite in a quart of water. Exact amounts aren't critical at all.

To use for negs, after the fix rinse the film in the wash aid for about a minute. You can reuse the wash aid until it starts growing scum.

• 7 months later...

Tammy, As John and Andy said, a washing aid does not make a negative more permanent, but it can greatly reduce the time you will need to wash the negative, (also prints), and make it less time-consuming.

A proper wash time will make a negative or print more permanent. I have found that "Orbit Bath", mixed according to instructions on bottle, will greatly reduce wash time and aid greatly. It cuts the wash time from 30-60 minutes down to 5-10 minutes. I have many negatives that have great permanence using this product. It can be found in many camera stores. Hope this helps.

David Huffman