Was Given Free Bulk Roll Tri-X 400 35mm, but...

lovcom_photo

<p>Someone at work heard I still shoot film, and so they brought me a free unopened 100ft roll of Tri-X 400 35mm film.</p>

<p>But with that, they also told me that the roll is (1) 2 years old, and (2) stored in Phoenix in a very hot attic, which can reach 100F+ during summers.</p>

<p>Now the short answer you might give me is to just shoot some and develope it....but, I don't want to go through that exercise unless I can be made to fill that the film will probably be okay...if the chances are small that the film should be find, I'd rather not even bother, and just chuck the roll in the trash.</p>

<p>What say you? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I wouldn't waste the cost of the chemicals, or the value of my time, to find out. That film is dead, fogged, speed loss, etc. Best use is for practice film for learning to load stainless steel reels.<br>

Actually, best use might be sending it in for silver recovery -- the silver is the most valuable thing there.</p>

<p>It'll take about 15 minutes to pull off a strip, load it in a camera, box up everything in the dark and make a test photo. Developing the test strip would take about 15 minutes. You're done in less than an hour, at most. </p>

<p>Even if that roll is plagued with problems, it's a hundred feet of film. You can always piggyback it behind the chems that would have been used one-shot. Packed in an old camera for fun, maybe. </p>

<p>Gene M. has gotten images out of stuff that's decades old and neglected. Not everything has to be top drawer. Use it up.</p>

<p>If it's two years old, it's probably coming up on its expiry date sometime around now, so no worries there. If the attic reaches 100F, that's concerning, but perhaps it's that hot only 10% of the time. Maybe it's room temperature or less most of the time.</p>

<p>Of course, I'd be pessimistic about your chances if we were talking about color, but this is Tri-X.</p>

<p>I have no clue. It's awfully hot in Phoenix for a good part of the year, so I'm guessing that the film has been exposed to a very warm environment for a substantial length of time. I'd lay odds that at best, you're going to see a lot of extra base fog and some speed loss. It could be worse. Still, it's 100ft. of film, so the quantity alone makes it worthwhile to try shooting and developing 12 frames or so. If it looks like you can use it, great. Otherwise, it's in the dumper.</p>

<p>I've lived in Phoenix on and off fover the last 50 years and I have seen 115+ days. Some of those attics get REALLY hot.</p>

<p>Having said that, I would still try it. As others have pointed out it's 100 ft of a great film.</p>

<p>I will be in Orange middle of March, I would be happy to take it off your hands if you don't want to try it!</p>