Video with Nikon D90 - Audio?

eileen_roche

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518701-REG/Audio_Technica_PRO_24_CM_Pro_24CM_Stereo_Microphone.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518701-REG/Audio_Technica_PRO_24_CM_Pro_24CM_Stereo_Microphone.html</a></p>

<p>Haven't used it, but I guess this would be a good start. I don't know what you are shooting, but you might also consider a wireless mic...</p>

<p>A worthy companion field recorder to the D90 is the Zoom H2. It has built-in microphones in a psudo Blumlein configuration but also allows external mics if more directional control is required. It's about $200. See review here:<br>

<a href="http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html">http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html</a></p>

<p>Despite all the hype about shooting video with DSLRs, a camera that doesn't have a connection for an external microphone isn't a serious tool for video. There's plenty of "B-roll" that be shot without sound because it will be covered with voiceover, music, sound effects, etc. in editing. But even B-roll is usually shot with sound just in case the editor wants it, and the meat and potatos of video is shooting sync sound whether it's an interview with an expert, a speech by a politician, the bride and groom exchanging vows, etc. Yes, you can record the sound separately and sync it up later the way it's done with movie cameras, but that's an added expense and lots of extra work. IMHO, if you want to shoot video, you're far better off to buy a video camera.</p>

<p>There are so many unique circumstances in audio/video recording that a single solution suitable to all simply doesn't exist. </p>

<p>Casual video recording will be the least demanding if audio isn't particularly important, but quickly becomes a big deal as soon as one demands better quality. Any in-camera microphone will need to contend with handling noise, (tape, HD) transport noise and wind noise whether a D90 or camcorder. But more importantly, the best video framing and camera position is rarely a good spot for microphone positioning. Consider a scenario of a session I recorded a couple of years ago with simple gear: Two 9' pianos in an empty hall. I used a camcorder hand-held in a walk-around for dynamic movement. Audio was recorded with a Mid-Side microphone to a laptop through an interface to avoid dragging mic cables tethered to the camera. The crux is, off-camera microphones is almost a necessity if one really cares about audio whether a boom pole, lavalier, or wireless, mixed in post. </p>

<p>Eileen already owns a D90 capable of quality video. Buying a separate camcorder just to get companion audio isn't a very good tradeoff for the above reasons, also considering the DoF/exposure-lock/manual control that the D90 offers.</p>

<p>It amazes me that in some forums on p.net, people are looked down on for trying to do 'professional' work with 'sub-professional' equipment (i.e. shoot a wedding with a digital Rebel), yet the number of photogs on this site trying to get 'professional' video with their DSLRs is growing by the minute...</p>

<p>Bottom line: If you want 'professional' results you need 'professional' equipment. If your equipment does what you need it to, great! If it doesn't, why make excuses for it? Syncing audio in post can be a royal PITA, and don't think a tape deck or an mp3 recorder will do the job. We've already determined that the only way to get 'professional' audio with a D90 is to buy more equipment anyway, so what's so unreasonable about the suggestion of buying a camera that will what you need it to do? </p>

<p>If a Pentax K7 fits the bill, go for it. If you decide you need need more, buy more. If you are happy with less, stay with less. If a K7 did what I needed it to do for video, I'd own 5 of them. No joke, 5 or more. If a Panasonic AG-HMC70 did what I wanted, I'd own 3. It does not, but the AG-HMC150 does, so I own 0. Three HMC150's are out of my budget right now, so I use DVC30's and shoot in standard definition instead. </p>

<p>To me, shooting 'professional' SD video is better than half-@$$ing HD.</p>