Video Editing Software

fmueller

<p>I recently got myself a Canon Rebel T1i (500D). The thing shoots video that gets stored on an SD card as mov file. I am looking for a software to use to edit these files - mostly to cut scenes out so I can just keep the good stuff. Freeware would be preferable :-)<br /> <br /> As an aside, I don't expect using the video function a lot. So a simple, user friendly software without unnecessary bells and whistles would be perfect. For stills I use PS to edit them. I have access to Adobe CS2 via my wife, but I don't think it offers much regarding video editing.<br /> <br /> Many thanks<br /> <br /> Frank</p>

<p>I might have to bite into the sour apple and buy Premiere. I keep on hearing good things about it, and it seems to be pretty much the standard like Photoshop is for still images.</p>

<p>I tried a freeware last night - Avidemux - and really liked it. It can do all I need it to do, and I edited a test video to my fullest satisfaction. However, once I saved the edited video from Avidemux, I can no longer open that file with any viewer including VLC, which usually opens anything. The documentation for Avidemux sucks, and their forums offer no support. Maybe you are right that you get what you pay for with video editing software, but it's not like that anymore with software in general. I use Firefox as browser, AVG free for virus protection, and Open Office for stuff like word processing. All of this software is second to none at the same time as being freeware.</p>

<p>I would also consider Sony Vegas; all the features you'd need at a very reasonable price.<br>

<a href="http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp">http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp</a></p>

<p>Best value is Movie Studio Platinum @ $85.00:<br>

<a href="http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope">http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope</a></p>

<p>If I read the Adobe web site correctly, Premiere Elements is $99 with $20 mail-in rebate, bringing it in a $79 after rebate. It seems so widely used that I don't doubt I could get plenty of online help if I ever had a problem with it - unlike Avidemux, for example :(</p>

<p>I've asked this question of several forums, and you are the first to recommend Sony Vegas, so the community using it seems somewhat more limited than Premiere's.</p>

<p>Frank,<br>

I bought the Premiere Elements some years ago. Everything I have learned (which certainly is not much, but enough to make me make some OK films for the family), I have learned from the Adobe forums, which are very helpful.</p>

<p>Being a cheapskate, I have been very satisfied with this "investment"</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>I have the T1i and Premiere Elements 7. I wouldn't recommend it and am looking for new software (anyone have any suggestions??).<br>

I have a brand new PC, running Window 7 and I have 8 gig of ram. My feeling is that this PC should chew anything out with no issue.<br>

I created a 11 min video of probably 150 shots, all with the T1i. The editting itself works at a fine pace.. though it crashes faily often. To Windows 7's credit, I would have to say it is the most polite crash I've ever seen. A window usually pops up telling me that it's going to occur so I can save my data and even when it doesn't the second window pops up saying it crashes. Easy shut down and reboot.. doesn't take that long.. and if I save often, this wasn't actually that bothersome..<br>

HOWEVER... when I try to export the movie.. it gets to about 7000/24000 pieces and just bonks out.. So, I can't actually make my movie.<br>

I have read this may be due to the T1i's .MOV files and that this MIGHT not be a problem if I converted to DV-AVI (paying another $30 for quicktime pro).. but that is a royal pain and I still don't know if it would work. Is it worth the several hours of trying.<br>

Anyone with a similiar issue.. I'm really interested in knowing how to solve it.. so I don't have to chuck away about 4 hours of work.<br>

I'm also very concerned with losing quality when I export. It look a while to find the right settings.. and even then, might be suboptimal.<br>

This may be an unsolvable issue if I convert the file to DV-AVI. Does anyone know how much quality may be lost in the 1280*720 video?</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>David, my experience with Premiere Elements is from DV_avi only, so it might well be that there is some problems with mov-files. I don't know. But there must be some software somewhere with a free 30days trial that can convert mov to dv-avi? </p>

<p>I think that Premiere Elements is downloadable as a try-out, so I suggest that Frank tries that with his camera movies</p>

<p>I downloaded and installed the trial version of Premiere Elements. I can't even get it to play the movie clip properly, never mind about editing. It is impossible for me to say if this is due to my being unfamiliar with the software, or if there is an incompatibility with the mov files the T1i produces. This movie thing has me pretty much at the end of my wits.</p>

<p>Kris - I am new to video as well (although I am far from new with regard to photography and computer usage), and just a couple of days ago would have thought just what you posted. In the meantime I learned that these converters only support a certain number of codecs (whatever that might be), and the H.264 codec the Canon T1i uses is not supported by any freeware I have tried so far - and I have tried a lot of them over the last few days! If anybody knows from personal experience of a freeware that does support this codec, I would be most interested in that information.</p>

<p>Sony Vegas Movie Studio Version 8 is pretty good for editing std def video.</p>

<p>Sony Vegas Movie Studio Version 9 is their latest version.</p>

<p>Sony Vegas Movie Studio PLATINUM is the one you get for hi-def editing.</p>

<p>You can get version 8 pretty cheap right now on the web. The price for it has dropped drastically since they came out with version 9.</p>

<p>IMHO, this pkg offers you a lot of power, functionality, and stability for the $$.<br>

I have used it to edit quite a few std def videos from various types of cameras and produce hi quality DVDs. It comes packaged with Sony DVD Architect, which is the sister application to Sony Vegas.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Here is what I did, I googled for a MOV to AVI or WMV converter (name escapes me because I did this at my office) converted the file and then used MovieMaker that comes with windoze cost to me zip cost to my employer big $$$$$ because I spent the major portion of a day playing with it. LMAO</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...