Vertical shooting on tripod: what would you do?

Renee Shipley

<p>I would like to know what is best. I have a Nikon d7000, with grip. I have a Manfrotto 498RC2 ballhead and I'd like to take vertical shots. It seems I can't get an L-plate, so...according to RRS, I can (probably) put their quick-release system on my ballhead, allowing me to use RRS' L-plate. OR, I can get a RRS ballhead.</p>

<p>Would it be better to just do that, and be done with it rather than trying to retrofit pieces/parts and hope it all fits & works? Or has someone done this with success?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Renee</p>

Any Tripod head with an Arca-Swiss compatible quick release clamp will work with the Really Right Stuff L-brackets,

camera and lens plate. That said the best built, highest quality (something you can actually feel over long term use)

heads incorporating an A-S clamp are the ones from Arca-Swiss and Really Right Stuff.

You can add a clamp on top of your existing system but keep in mind that you'll be adding unnecessary weight (although

relatively slight, it will be there) and you are adding an additional connection between the head and the camera or lens.

<p>The rep I chatted with online said my setup isn't compatible...I'll likely think about getting the RRS ballhead and not trying to piece things together - I don't know if my husband will agree to me buying another camera if something happens to mine because I tried to rig a solution.</p>

<p>Renee, you need to find out if you can remove the current clamp on your ballhead - it should just be screwed on but could be fixed with some thread locker. If it does come off, then you can replace it with a RRS clamp and use the L-plate for your D7000. </p>

<p>As Ellis pointed out - any Arca-Swiss compatible quick release clamp will work with RRS L-brackets; I would be careful though with ones that use a spring-loaded lever rather than a screw to lock the plate in place. </p>

<p>Of course, the easiest solution would be to get a RRS ballhead. I personally like the ones from Acratech - they can be had with or without a Arca-Swiss compatible clamp in place. If you buy one without, then a RRS clamp will fit.</p>

Before this dissolves into a lot of anecdotes about much love random individuals love one brand or another of tripod or

tripod head or camera or lens or light source, you should consider how you actually shoot. Acra-tech's are great for any

situation where you want to carry around as little weight as possible or are shooting in dusty or sandy environments. That

is what they are designed for. I have a couple of Acra-tech heads, a couple of Arca-Swiss heads (a 16 year old B1, a

D4M, and a first generation P0 and P1). As well as a couple of others you wouldn't be interested in because they are

massive, heavy and specialized. I have also used other ball heads like an RRS BH-55, Foba, Novoflex, Induro, Leica and

Graf. At dealers and trade shows I've also played with several of the heads that are cosmetically similar to but internally

mechanically. different from the Arca-Swiss B1.

I shoot a range of subjects: mostly industry, corporate advertising and pr, and editorial portraits. And I use big cameras, My favorite head to use

after all of these years my favorite head to use is the Arca-Swiss B1 (the updated version is the Z1) but I replaced the

standard clamp with an RRS PCL-1 panning head. Even if you never plan on shooting stitched panoramas my advice is

that what ever head you decide on replacing the standard clamp with a panning clamp. If you use a tripod a lot having a

panning mechanism at the base of the head and at the camera platform level makes life much easier than having only a

single panner. I didn't believe that until I tried, now I won't use a head that doesn't have that feature.

But these are just my preferences based on the way I work, you probably are different. I don't really care what you do o buy just make sure that a) you enjoy the experience of using it and b) it will last you a long, long time.

<p>Kirk (kirkphoto.com) also has a dedicated L-bracket for your D7000 (BL-D7000; $110). I use a Kirk plate on a RRS ballhead/plate on my D2X with absolutely no problems.</p>

<table width="677" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td> </td>

<td align="right"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

Just as a sanity check... I assume you're not happy with the results of just flopping the 498rc2 over 90

degrees? Like most ball heads, it'll let you shoot vertically just fine like this, unless your camera is fouling

on it. An L-plate is nicer, since it keeps the centres of gravity over the tripod, but if budget is a concern I'd

not rule this out. I'm also assuming you're not using a lens with a collar.

If we're talking budget heads, I'll mention the Triopo RS-3 again. Like the Manfrotto, though, you'll need a

replacement Arca clamp (honestly, cheap ones from eBay seem fine if you don't mind the more flexible

screw clamp type over the flip lock). I'd be surprised if the Manfrotto's head can't be replaced.

<p>I'm with Andrew on this. I'm not familiar with this particular ballhead but any one that I've ever used lets you put the camera into the vertical position with no need for an L-plate, quick release adaptor or anything else. If center of gravity is an issue, remove the grip. I like the trip on my D7000 for handheld use but it's not really necessary on a tripod.</p>

Just to clarify, I meant to say I'd be surprised if the QR clamp on the Manfrotto couldn't be replaced. I'd be

even more surprised if the whole head couldn't be replaced!

An L plate IS nicer, and there ARE a few oddities that don't support flipping, but it's usually a luxury rather

than a necessity.

<p>Andrew, I understood perfectly what you were saying, so no clarification necessary. :)</p>

<p>And...I didn't want to actually have to come clean and admit this but...I didn't know you don't need an L-plate to put your camera vertically on your tripod. When I get home from work this evening I'm going to look and see what you're talking about. No, don't tell me - let me figure it out. If I can't, I will let you know! You might have just saved me hundreds of dollars (that perhaps I can spend later on a new lens when/if I decide I need one!).</p>

<p>Ha! I'm good...(and yes, a little embarrassed!). But, this was not for nothing. I learned a lot about ball heads, clamps and plates in case I need a second tripod or decide I want to upgrade what I have. This is what being a beginner means, no matter what you're beginning - everything's a learning experience! Thanks all for your help. Now, if I could just have more daylight hours so I could actually shoot...</p>