using REDSCALE technique on B&W film

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by joshua_coleman, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I've been playing with different film techniques and just started my first REDSCALE roll using color film. If you don't know Redscale is the technique of shooting photographic film where the film is exposed from the wrong side, i.e the emulsion is exposed through the base of the film.
    I'm very curious if anyone has tried this technique with black and white film and if so what the results were.

2. It really won't do anything special in B&W film because there is no emulsion layer to give a color change. You'll just get really flat, low contrast muddy negatives.
    Instead try putting a color filter over the lens and shooting B&W. Red filters increase contrast and make the skies darker. You can also try yellow, orange and green for similar and less drastic effects.

3. Exposing color film through the base will cause all 3 layers to be exposed equally to blue light and UV. Then, the red and green layers will get their own individual color exposures.
    The result is usually a very desaturated, off color photo that is hard to balance in negative printing and is usually unsatisfactory by direct viewing if it is a transparency. Of course, this assumes you even know how to achieve a "normal" speed exposure at all. This alone will take quite a bit of trial and error to punch through the AH layer and account for the exposure through the base. It may require 1 - 2 stops or more of exposure to even get an image.
    Ron Mowrey

4. Thanks for the heads up and saving me from a failed experiment! Here's a shot from my lomo lc-a redscale technique using 200 film with 50 ISO
    00UDxc-165577684.jpg

5. That is quite good. I like it.
    A bit overexposed and low in contrast. But, I like it. If you like it too, keep playing with the technique.
    Ron Mowrey

6. I think there was too much color correction on it The Red scale I used recently Was almost like I shot it through a #15 red filter.

7. Yeah... I was wondering why it didn't look more red.
    00UEBV-165701584.jpg

8. You need to scan them yourself and turn off the auto correct or have the people who scanned them for you redo them.

9. Joshua, your picture was probably overexposed and that's why it didn't look more red. I haven't tried redscale yet, but I have seen a lot of people on Flickr who do that. I read that if you overexpose the film, it cancels out the effect and the picture looks almost "normal."
    By the way, one problem with those "lomography" cameras, like the Holga, Diana, etc is that you pretty much have no manual exposure control. I think what, they have two f-stops, and they're kind of "iffy" at that. I've even heard a few people say that the f-stops on the Holga are pretty much useless. So you have to choose the film to fit with the lighting conditions ahead of time.
    Try redscale with a camera that has manual exposure control (like a 35mm rangefinder or SLR). Maybe this time try underexposing the film a little bit and see what happens. The redscale pictures I've seen do look pretty cool and I might try it sometime.

10. Here's a shot using Lomo's redscale film I took in Philadelphia on a rainy day.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevans/3742980850/
    The effects of the flipped film are obvious here. YMMV. BTW This was exposed right-on, no up- or down-rating of the film.

11. I think Chris is right that the pictures were overexposed. I called the photolab and they said that there WAS color correction on the photo transfers. I had them transfer the photos again WITHOUT the color correction and they came out looking almost exactly the same.