Using a canon dslr as a webcam

paddler4

Anyone use their Canon DSLR as a webcam? EOS utility gives me a great video on my screen, but apps like Zoom don't see the camera. Some people recommend additional software, but I am hesitant to use software without some first-hand experience.

I don't. I did consider it earlier this week for set up for a one-off video chat with a few friends. I browsed through a couple of web articles and decided that it was (for me) too much hassle with little prep time. And that the investment in a (mini-)HDMI-USB cable, possibly a video-converter and/or paid (non-watermarked) versions of specialized software would be as high or even higher than the price of a dedicated 'good enough' external webcam. Leaving aside the sound quality issues.

I think whether and how use a DSLR as a webcam depends a lot on the frequency of use, the level of video quality you want and your budget. If you want or need to regularly stream good quality video, then I would say 'go for it'. If the video quality is not a big issue, then there are still webcams available (but hard to find). Using your mobile phone as a webcam is another option too.

There are quite a few articles and video's around on this topic.These are just a couple I came across and browsed through:

- How to Use DSLR as a Webcam in 2020? (at video-stitch.com)

- How To Use Your DSLR As A Webcam (Simple Answer!) (at thewiredshopper.com)

- Using a DSLR as a Webcam - A guide & tutorial (at obs.live)

Sorry I don't have any personal experience.

Mike

Anyone use their Canon DSLR as a webcam? EOS utility gives me a great video on my screen, but apps like Zoom don't see the camera. Some people recommend additional software, but I am hesitant to use software without some first-hand experience.

Mike,

thanks. I've decided that it is too much bother. I too found lots of articles and videos on the web, but they all required additional software that I was reluctant to trust. A better webcam will be sufficient for me. I was exploring this because webcams, like toilet paper and hand cleaner, vanished off the shelves when people started worrying about COVID 19. I ordered one a few weeks ago and recently got an email saying that, supplies permitting it will be shipped the beginning of June. Meanwhile, I'll have to make do with the ancient low-quality one that I have. A vendors on Amazon say they have the one I ordered, but they are scalping them for 3x the normal price. When I first looked, it was 4x.

Dan

Same issue here; special cable and buying software I'm not familiar with. Webcams seem to be sold out everywhere. I got a promotional email from B&H for them, but when I went to the site everything you might want was sold out. The people I chat with probably didn't need to see me and my mess anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Canon EOS Webcam Utility Beta LINK Allows you to use a lot Canon EOS camera models with many popular video conferencing programs like Zoom.

Cheers, Mark

Canon EOS Webcam Utility Beta LINK Allows you to use a lot Canon EOS camera models with many popular video conferencing programs like Zoom.

Thanks. Yes, that's the same software Jochen noted above. I just checked the page you linked, and the list of cameras still doesn't (and may never) extend back to the bodies I own.

At this point, it may be a moot point for me. Supposedly--I believe it when it actually happens--my new webcam is supposed to ship in two weeks or so.