UpGrade!

andrew_whitt

<p>Hello Andrew,<br>

As it's your first upgrade in several years you may as well upgrade to the D7100</p>

<p>No low-pass filter (theoretically improving sharpness slightly)<br>

Improved focusing system<br>

Ability to operate down to -2EV light level<br>

Optional 1.3x crop mode</p>

<p>Dear Andrew,<br>

Without any further information, it is impossible to tell you what camera to get, or even if a new camera body is the best way to spend your money. It's easy to answer "D7100" (arguably the best APS-C Nikon), but it may easily not be the right answer at all.<br>

Why do you think you are due for an upgrade? What is the D3000 not doing for you what you want it to do? Are there specific features that are not available that make you miss photo oppurtunities? What kind of photos do you like to take? What lenses, flash, tripod do you have? What is the budget you have? Can you describe the kind of photos you would love to make, but cannot make now?</p>

<p>Instead of thinking you need to upgrade the body everynow and then, try to define for yourself if your current gear poses a problem, and what would be the best way to solve this problem. Newer DSLRs cameras can bring a lot of benefits, but only if your photography actually benefits from such new features - just getting a new camera because it has greater specs (like Chris' list above) isn't a great way to spend money. Lenses more often than not are a better way to expand your photographic options. Flash and a tripod as well. And maybe in the end, rather than buying more gear, the best investment may be a course in photography, books or a trip to a lovely detination with great photographic oppurtunities instead.</p>

<p>If you currently own the D3000 with the kit lenses, then those lenses will probably disappoint you on the D7100. Particuarly the 18-55mm. The 55-200 is actually not that bad, but the D7100 brings out every flaw in the lens. I upgraded from the D5100 and saw a big difference with the lens. Now my walk around is a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Major difference in quality.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The op isn't saying anything is wrong with his current camera, sounds like he just wants others opinions on what we would get IF we WANTED to upgrade. My opinion would be the D7000 and with any extra cash nice lens</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it was me I would never upgrade. </p>