"Trade for CD" question

<p>If one is doing TFCD work in exchange for a model and his/her time, is there any touching up of the photos done? Or is it simply a transfer of your memory card to a CD and chau, good luck? <br>

I understand it may depend on the scenario, however, what is the general understanding amongst photographers and models (if there is one)?</p>

<p>thx<br>

ev</p>

<p>I don't often do this, but when I do, I process the photos. I will make them a slideshow; I prep some photos for web page use; and, I include a folder with some original-size photos, after processing. I prefer to sit them down and show them what's on the disc, and answer their questions, just as you would with anybody else who receives your stuff.</p>

<p>If it takes me a little while to get around to it; within the first 48 hours of so, I'll go in the files, pluck out three or four that look promising, edit those, export to a smaller size, and then email those to them. This cools off the impatience factor. </p>

<p>If I upload it someplace, like with those slideshows, then I'll send them a hyperlink. One email, and they and their friends can look at it. This helps to provide people with reassurance that it was worth their time to spend on the photos. Then, I'll get down to making that DVD with the group of processed photos.</p>

<p>I know there are computer gurus out there; but, just by virtue of frequency of contact, we can do stuff a little more smoothly than people who don't spend a lot of their time with photos. The people who've received them have been glad to get their photos. I feel like when you can bring it to them and close it up in a way that's positive, then that's what makes it an investment.</p>

<p>I received numerous contacts and introductions to others as a result of those people being satisfied with their photos. That by itself was worth a little computer time. It can lead to more people seeing your work and hearing about your work.</p>

<p>How many million photos are buried inside databases out there? Referrals, introductions, and those moments of someone else's consideration can be helpful. You don't have to break your back and make the world's greatest photos after three months of postprocessing one day's images. A reasonable effort; a clean publication of the disc; a brief closure meeting. How hard is that? Too easy.</p>

<p>You don't have to be the greatest; but, how about a reasonable modest effort.</p>

<p>I do TFCD on occasion (rarely, but sometimes it's a good match for the photographer and model). I treat TFCD just like a traditional print product; the CD provided to the 'customer' (model) includes only the selected edited images. Additionally, consider which image formats (sizes and resolutions) you'll include in your 'package'. If I'm to deliver a comprehensive package, I'll usually include a single folder with lower resolution images (for the web; crops will depend on the image. Additionally, I'll include either a single folder with 2/3 crops (4x6 image) at print resolution, or multiple folders based on the crop size (4x6, 5x7, 8,10). A release it also included including the copyright and general or specific reproduction rights.<br>

It helps to think of TFCD just like any other product or product package. That thinking also helps place a 'value' on your time and creative efforts, so you can negotiate accordingly.</p>

<p>Two things<br>

1. There is what you've both agreed to which can vary widely and can be situational.<br>

When I do TF* the model and I have communicated, in general terms what we are both looking for and agree up front. I have the model sign a release before we begin the shoot. My agreement to her is typically 2-4 retouched shots per look.<br>

2. And there is personal preferences of the photographer.<br>

Some photographers give every image from the shoot i don't (and won't) - imo the image capture is part of the process not the finished product. I dont show untouched photos to anyone - similar to a painter that does not show his unfinished work. Some give a few shots per look not retouched. My personal preference is that I give 2-4 retouched shots per look. So she'll walk away with 10-20 shots from the shoot depending on the number of looks. Most models (and especially more experienced ones) are happy with this in general as they understnad it's quality not quantity that is one of the main goals.<br>

I provide these low res on CD with watermark for thier port on MM, OMP, MB, etc., and hi-res for printing without. My release is also printed for her and placed on the CD as well which describes usage rights. I do not give dual ownership or transfer of copyright ownership. Again - these are my preferences and have found them to be typical of others as well.<br>

I am sure other photographers will share varrying preferences as well</p>

<p>Your images are copyrighted when you take them. If you are letting the models use the images, then you need to get an agreement regarding usage. If you think the images have commercial value and could get used without your permission, you need to register the copyright with the US copyright office. There are lots of resources on this topic on the web, I like the Stanford Copyright & Fair Use site, it has a tremendous amount of information.</p>

<p>I do a lot of TFP (trade for photos) work in shooting rare musical instruments. I treat a TFP shoot just as if the client were paying for the shoot. They get the same prints, files on CD, license to print the files for their own use, and an invoice showing a zero balance owing.</p>

<p>Like Steven, I give them low-rez files for their web site, etc. with my watermark, and high-rez files for printing without a watermark. And like Steven I include my license on the CD itself.</p>

<p>TFP work is an excellent opportunity to practice your business workflow as well as your photographic one.</p>

<p>As Jeff says, you need to license the images to the model for specific uses, for a specific time, etc.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>What Aimee said...</p>

<p>The model will probably use whatever you give him/her. Only give the model images that you would want someone else to see. You choose which images to present. Make sure it's clear ahead of the shoot.</p>

<p>I always put up an online gallery for proofing and once the model is happy I burn a CD with web-resolution and full-size images. I've heard of some models who want to burn a CD straight from the memory card on-site, but this is something I'd never do for the above mentioned reasons.</p>