TLX shutter failure

donald_ingram1

Hi Donald...Why don't you try first Andrew Britton?I am sure he is more than capable to sort out your TLX.I remember a few yrs ago I had a somehow similar problem with a IIIs,and he did a brilliant job.As it would appear from your photo,the blade could still be in one piece,probably the spring(s)snapped or came loose.If so,it would be a matter of replacing the spring in question.I remember that my IIIs had a snapped blade;your case could be easier to fix.

Hope you'll have soon your TLX up and running!

Take care for now,

JT

Iulian, I think Andrew Britton was MS hobbies - did he not retire and move to Aviemore ?

I took the film out of the camera, and the blade moved so it's now within mm of snapping

( I dare not close the camera body now ).

This TLX was one of the batch the Minoxlabs were selling off at $600. It's already had a

poorly done repair in Germany, as when it arrived, the shutter dial did not have a spacer -

so it loosened and tightened as the dial turned. Once I got it back, I discovered they did

not put any lock-tite on the grub-screw in the tripod mount so the body shell did not

close properly.

Minox must have lost so many skilled 8x11 workers with their shift to badge engineering.

So I'm thinking, as Martin suggested, this makes Don Goldberg the be best choice.

It's just the customs hassle of shipping back to the USA, as I would have to find the proof I

paid VAT on the original import.<div>00KxSl-36270684.jpg.1e7657801edcf0109529d48ee09159c1.jpg</div>

Donald,no idea if he moved to Aviemore.Last time I knew he was in (or near-by)Cambridge,if I am not mistaken.However,Martin's choice would be a better one,IMO...DAG always provided the best services for Minox cameras in trouble.It's just that I have mentioned Mr.Britton because you said you'd prefer to send your camera to a EEC country(closer as possible to the UK).But definitely DAG is the way to go if you can ship to the US.Finding that VAT piece of info would be very helpful indeed:-)

Regards and good luck!

JT

Donald, if you ship your camera to DAG, and write on the postal office

custom form "Camera send for repair", there is no inport duty or tax involved. Ask DAG to keep the package label, so when he send back the

camera to me (in Toronto) there will be no duty or tax as well. I had

send BL to DAG and Tessina to 3rcamera.com, no tax problems.