Tips for shooting strangers

sprouty

<p>>>> I find if I keep my camera in my right hand and a gun in my left I have at least two different options.</p>

Sounds good to me. I think you'll snag some pretty neat reactions certainly worthy of capture.

<br />

<br />

And probably different than the Pez dispenser in your hot shoe trick...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Javier is correct. Look like you are focussing on an object behind them or slightly to one side. Then put them in the frame at the last second.<br>

Pick a spot and be seen there regularly, they the same people will get used to seeing you there too. They won't be alarmed or as self conscious.<br>

Don't turn uo with a huge camer and a lens with a 77mm objective lens. You can only get away with thay if you are a pro and have all the gear hanging off you. If you are a private person, its harder, so go with the smallest you can manage. Only raise the camera at the second you want to shoot...pre set your speed, aperture and focus. Shoot, then walk off straight away.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Most of my shots are street black and white. Most of those are shot in San Francisco on Market and in the Tenderloin area. When I first started shooting street, and even now, I would get a bit nervous and paranoid about people I was shooting. If you were to look at my black and white photos there are some there where to people were giving me some very nasty looks. I have people turn their backs and have had a few yell at me; ( at which I promptly left).</p>

<p>However, the more I shoot street in SF the more calm and relaxed I am. I am finding that there are so many people there with cameras that most do not even notice me. When I was shooting one morning a war ralley a street vendor thought I was the news and made sure he was directly in front of the camera many times.</p>

<p>I usually have my camera on my neck where I hold it about at my stomach level. I have the lighting set, and on autofocus; then if I do see a shot I just puch the button as I walk. I try not to stare directly into the persons eyes. But, most people do not have a problem; mostly the illegal vendors get a bit on edge with they see you shooting them.</p>

<p>Hope to see you there.</p>