The Spire of Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by JDMvW, Apr 20, 2019.

1. The last time I climbed the stairs to Notre Dame's balcony I discovered they had built a stainless steel cage around it, apparently to keep folks from falling off or committing suicide. I found that modern addition very disconcerting. Won't be going up there again.

2. The pyramid has been discussed in several posts here. The consensus rationalization seems to be a dislike not equal to the horror induced by the spire. The pyramid's saving grace seems to be that it is not directly connected to the building itself. It therefore seems to remain sufficiently disconnected from the purity of history not to be the abomination the new spire is about to become.

[Advice to the spire architect-wannabees: Just figure out some way to build an ultra modern spire and have it held up by cables or some other system that don't connect it directly to the venerated building. That way you may avoid historical continuity abandonment and will be at least in the ballpark of the pyramid ... which means some critics, though not all, may be displeased but will at least still take pictures of it when on vacation in France.]
    Hard to believe an effort would be made to save lives at the expense of historical aesthetics. I agree, stay far away. :eek:

3. Hard to believe, this long after the Enlightenment, people cannot grasp the gravity of the situation.....

movingfinger likes this.
  4. Nanny State Strikes Again. If you really want to save lives, I suggest gun control. Where I live, in New Mexico, gun deaths are significantly higher than the rest of the country. Most of those deaths are suicides. But this isn't about gun control.

5. There it is again.

A bullet is a falling object.

6. The little temporary greenhouse looks kinda tacky.
    I guess it’s a good place to start tomato plants though.....

7. Thankfully it stayed alive after the fire!

8. Wow. Great stuff.
    Bet you’d like to go to work on that one.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  9. Thanks for the link. Interesting and laudable effort.

It’s good to know it’s ok to use modern scientific methods to assess and protect this historically significant structure even though it seems the aesthetics have no room for such a similar fate! :)

10. Discretion, though lost on some, is an incredible asset.
    Indispensable to critical thought and action.

11. And this is related to the subject on hand how?

12. Read the previous post, #130.

13. Oh, now it makes sense, NOT.

14. You get used to it.

15. I suggest they rebuild the spire in stainless steel to match the balcony cage.

16. +1

“The only constant in life is change.”
    —Heraclitus (500 BC)

A comparable change he experienced was the addition of colonnades to the agora to accommodate merchants and artisans who were now gathering there as it transitioned from a more military to a more commercial public space. Sources tell me there were all kinds of hand-wringing back then, too. :)

Heraclitus, though, was more often found down by the river noticing that it seemed always to be the same river even though it was forever changing as the waters constantly flowed.

Go figure!

Supriyo likes this.
  17. if I may add, "and man's resistance to it." :)

18. Not if you look at History....

19. Let me help you out a little more.
    Applying science to one aspect of restoration does not imply he loses discretion to not apply it to another.

Ricochetrider likes this.