The Nikon Strap

pge

<p>Do you use the Nikon neck strap that came with your kit or do you use a more custom strap? I'll go first.</p>

<p>I never use the kit strap, I buy a leather strap for each camera I purchase.</p>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an upstrap and a black rapid sport. I don't have quick releases for the upstrap so it's a bit of a PIA if

you want to take it off or put it on. It works very well though. I haven't had the black rapid that long but I like

that it is easy to switch the attachment point from the body to a lens (think 70-200 2.8) or remove it

completely. I don't like the factory straps. They don't seem to work well for me (cut into my neck and slide

off my shoulder) and I'm not a big fan of advertising that I have an expensive body. Interesting thread. I'm

curious what others have to say.

No. They're not very comfortable on me and I don't like having a big yellow "NIKON D800 FX" declaration on me.

For the D800 I like the Crumpler Industry Disgrace because the weight distribution feels comfortable, and for smaller

cameras the Domke Gripper because it's well made and simple.

<p>I don't use straps. After having one fail on me and drop my camera I do not trust any of them. It is either firmly in my hand or in the bag.<br>

And yes I have taken falls with the camera in hand. The hand that is holding the camera goes up while the rest of me goes down.</p>

<p>Nikon strap, because I'm a cheapskate and can't be bothered to switch (I spend too much money on other photography stuff). I sometimes turn it label inwards, partly because I don't feel the need to do Nikon's advertising for them and partly because I don't want to make it obvious that my camera is expensive. I usually support the camera by hand when walking around anyway, partly because I don't like having a big lens cantilevering off the lens mount (because it might hit things and it's not very secure) and partly because it has a tendency to twist and either throttle me or smack my gentlemen's parts with the lens hood.</p>

<p>I haven't used a kit strap since my first Minolta in 1974. That one was replaced by a robust macrame'd strap made for me by a girlfriend which is still on the body to this day. <br>

My other bodies are Nikon pro weight with 2.8 lenses and I only use Promaster neoprene straps now for the comfort factor. I rarely carry equipment around my neck, though, usually opting to have the strap wrapped firmly around my right hand for stability and security. I use these straps for my Quantum batteries, too. They are made with quick releases. <br>

I also have two leather hand straps, one for Hasselblad and one for DSLRs, but I've never used the one for DSLRs. I would find it too limiting. With the neck strap I get both.</p>

<p>What I want to know is why does Nikon put the model number on the strap? They used to be yellow and black and say 'Nikon' only but now they say the model number in obvious writing. I don't think that anyone wants to adversise they are wearing a D800 or whatever - one, because of theives and two beacuse it makes it look like you are endorsing the product.</p>

<p>I have nerve damage to my neck and shoulders so I can't use a neck strap. Both my D300s bodies have what I call palm straps, since using these, I've never dropped a camera. I actually have a pretty nifty setup with a LowePro technical vest and two Spider holsters.</p><div>00bdq0-536993684.jpg.00aca0d64a56ece9c66da8070a99bf09.jpg</div>

<p>I have several different straps, but I don't use the Nikon straps. The Nikon straps are made to last for sure, but they're a beacon to any thief that you have a high quality camera & being that I'm just a little woman - - I prefer they need to come up closer to see what it says on the front of my camera. The Nikon strap with yellow/gold is visible for far too far away. May be good for their marketing, but not for me. <br>

JMHO</p>