The Bilora Bella DC4 - Warts and All

<p >Picked up for £1.99 plus postage from Ebay. It caught my attention because unlike most of these Biloras and similar budget 1950's and 60's cameras it had a 55mm F3.5 Rodenstock Trinar lens. Most have simple meniscus or doublet F8 lenses. When I got it the shutter wouldn't operate so I had to remove the lens and face plate, when I found that a rotating lever which connected the operating button to the mechanism was bent, and it wasn't turning far enough to trip it. A tweak with a pair of pliers and all was well, followed by re-setting the lens focus. The viewfinder has started to de-silver but its usable.</p>

<p > </p><div>00d5gF-554406484.jpg.847f07086238c35ba7ba3cbcb3c7fa86.jpg</div>

<p >The Bilora Bella DC4 was manufactured by the Kurbi & Niggeloh Company of Radevormwald/RHLD, Germany in circa 1959. So it says on the Historic Camera web site. It's designed to take 16 4cm by 4cm pictures on 120 film. This must be an upmarket model with the Trinar and a four speed Prontor shutter. Like all Biloras it's nicely made with a metal body and attractively finished.<br /></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Inside I noticed that there was a 4x4 plastic mask, secured by four screws. I thought it would be interesting to see how well the 55mm lens covered 6x6, so I removed the mask, revealing a near 6x6 opening. I painted the bare metal inside black and glued in strips of cardboard to bring the film to the correct position. By winding to 1 - 3 - 5 - 9 etc I was able to make eight exposures on a 400 ISO black and white film.</p><div>00d5gI-554406784.jpg.4ec3b410e59349645d6b029f450ab989.jpg</div>

<p >Also there seems to be a light leak. Difficult to find as its one of those cameras where the back and bottom slide away from the body in one piece to open it. I think it got in via the latch in the base, made worse by me removing the mask. It seems strange because I wouldn't have though any of the frames were in position long enough to get fogged.</p><div>00d5gR-554407284.JPG.83fc9b391abeedc034092949634c8635.JPG</div>

<p>We don' need no steenkin' LOMO!<br>

I like, very much.<br>

Heaven help me, I simply can't allow myself to get involved with WEST German cameras, but it's all I can do to not go directly on eBay and hunt for one of these.</p>

<p>And </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Kurbi & Niggeloh Company of Radevormwald</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How could you beat that? Somehow trumps all those small VEBs in the early history of the Sowjetische Besatzungs-Zone.<br>

Bravo and thanks.</p>

<p>Well, I guess it was a little optimistic, expecting the 55mm Trinar to cover 6x6 format...But an interesting exercise, <strong>John</strong>. Ignoring the light leaks, the images look as if they might have been quite acceptable when cropped to the intended 4x4 format. Oddly enough, now I have a few rolls of 127 film, I was considering running one through the pretty Bilora Bella 44 with the Achromat f/8 lens of unknown focal length, so a comparison might be interesting. Thanks for an interesting post.</p>

Never mind all that. You actually have old steam locomotives doing regular passenger runs? And in keeping with the days of old, I admire how in the last photo you have the big shadow of the person taking the photo running up from the foreground. That reminds me of most of the photos taken by my parents in the 1940s and 1950s. ("Always aim the camera with the sun behind you.")
James G. Dainis

<p>Thanks for the responses. Yes we are very fortunate in Leicester to have the Great Central Railway, the remains of a main line which once ran from London to Yorkshire, but was closed in the 1960's. Trains, often steam hauled, run regularly at weekends and bank holidays to Loughborough, about 8 miles Notrhwards, where the group has its main depot. There is another preserved line in Leicestershire, too, called the Battlefield line as it is near to the Bosworth Battle field.</p>

<p>I must get out there with a classic camera, at some point.</p>