Taking photos from a small airplane in Alaska

michaelbrochstein

I am scheduled (weather permitting) to take a flightseeing ride in a

small plane in Denali National Park at the beginning of September.

I've never done this before (that is, take photos from a small

fligthseeing plane) and was wondering what lens(es) you would choose

to use (and why?) to shoot the scenery and any other relevant advice

you might have to share?

Well, see if they will take the door off for you. They probably can't or won't in a sightseeing plane, but it is worth asking.

Vibration is the enemy. Don't lean on anything, if you do, you'll pick up the vibration. Use at least 1/250 of a second, preferrably faster, to get sharp pictures.

There is more UV at altitude. Use a UV or skylight filter.

What kind of airplane? I might be able to give you some specific advice.

I, admittedly, know next to nothing about such photography. However I have heard that serious photographers use a devise that is attached to the body/lens? that counterbalances some of the vibrations of the plane. I think it might be a gyroscope of some kind, but it looks like a large cylinder hanging on the bottom of the camera.

I also believe that, if at all possible, for better photos it's helpful to be open a window. There are obvious risks doing so; I recall reading here about a guy who was shooting with a Pentax 67, dropped it out of the plane, recovered it and it still worked fine! (although it did have a big dent).

I hope you have a great trip!

If you have a choice of a helicopter or plane, it is easier to photograph from a helo (especially if you can ride up front with the pilot) due to better maneuverability and generally slower speeds. I've done both and my preference is clear). If you have good weather in Denali you should get some terrific shots. I found wide angle with UV & 1/500 worked fine. Watch out for flare and reflections from glass surfaces. If you're going to Juneau while in Alaska, the helo ride and photo opportunities on the Mendenhal glacier are also outstanding. Good luck.

...and perhaps find some 'gaffers' tape. Put a small strip on the lens-filter-lenshood so you won't loose anything hanging out in the slipstream. The wind and vibration may cause a problem.

Lenses: anything from 20mm to 150mm, depending how steady your hands are with a camera poking out a window as you fly by. Alaska is a very large area.

Hopefully the weather will be clear for your trip.

Went on a "flightseeing" trip to Mt. McKinley, used my Canon 28-135 IS, IS helped on the vibration, and 28 (with 1.6x digi factor) was all I needed, as I was shooting out porthole type windows, and wider angle would just have gotten window frame

• 2 years later...

<p>Just putting my two cents in...

<p>Was checking the net to see what I could find to help the next time I do this.

<p>I had a few questions I wanted answered and this page has supplied the answers...

<p>This weekend, got a chance to ride in an open cockpit 1920's era (kit) racer. Was at a Stearman Fly-In and got a ride on a friend's "Spacewalker 2" racer.

<p>Took my trusty D40x with a 18-200mm lens. First time in an open cockpit.

<p>Experienced the following:

<p>1) Taking photos of ground subjects -- noticed when viewing the images full size one or two were slightly blurred -- must have touched to airframe while shooting.

<p>2) Something small flew into slipstream while in flight. Later found it to be the small rubber viewfinder protective cap!

<p>3) Lens cap was attached to lens via a string-type cap holder. At one point, it also took off into slipstream!

<p>Shortly after take off I had tried to place the lens slightly into the slipstream and found it next to impossible to do so. Even withing the protective confines of the small cockpit, there was still enough force was supplied via the 90mph speed to rip these two items off!

<p>First time doing this and will correct for next shoot.

<p>Plans are to go up in two planes. One will be used to take images of the "Skywalker" over the family business in the country. I will be in the "chase plane (always wanted to say that!) taking the images. This page has assisted me in confirming some of the suspicions I had about doing these sort of shots.

<p>Am including one of the images.

<p>Live and learn.<div>00Mrlo-39016484.jpg.724364849358e6b1fea93365cedc1a7f.jpg</div>