T-grain color films

The thread on Ektachrome 64 (ER) vs. Ektachrome 100 (EN) reminds me that I don't

remember when the change to T-grain films occurred.

As well as I know it, all Kodak color films are now T-grain, and I suspect many others.

T-grain is supposed to be a little faster, as it allows more sensitive area facing the right direction.

(Note that the sensitizing dyes are on the surface of grains, so surface area is important.)

I don't remember if the ER to EN transition was related to T-grain introduction, but that

would be interesting to know.

Otherwise, any other thoughts related to T-grain, film character (even though I don't usually

wonder about film character) or other film differences would be interesting.

There was also the transition from Ektachrome 50T to 64T, which might be about the

same time as the ER to EN transition.

-- glen

I've been under the impression that Ektar 25 was one of the first if not the first T-grain color films.

From what I can find, EPP(along with presumably EPN, EPR, and EPZ) are traditional grain films. I'm not sure when these were introduced-I'm guessing sometime in the '80s-and I'd guess that EPP was likely the last traditional grain color film made.

I can't seem to find the data sheet for Lumiere(LPP)-something which surprises me considering the sheer volume of data sheets that Kodak seems to still have archived on their website. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a T-grain film. If I remember my history correctly, it was a mid-1990s product(of course to compete with Velvia, and a predecessor to the much better E100VS).

Old Ektar 25 I shot in 120 format.

Search: ektar | Flickr

- Nice pix Alan.

I don't remember ever seeing Ektar 25 in 120 rolls. I shot a couple of cassettes of 35mm and wasn't impressed. The grain wasn't much finer than Gold 100, and I seem to remember the negatives being very contrasty and quite difficult to print.

The rest of the world couldn't have been too keen on it either, because it didn't hang around for long.

I remember T-max being introduced and thinking it represented a quantum-leap. At last! A film that can actually give reasonable quality in 35mm size with a useable speed. Wahay!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1