Sun Optical Co. 90mm lens

<p>This just happened to be from a poorly listed online auction - and luckily enough turned out to be in Exakta not Leica mount, so I have something to mount it on.<br>

I was quite surprised to recieve this today - the auction didn't mention anything about the original box being included!</p><div>00ZBMm-389273684.jpg.9bd3170f4c9d8ee2b97988289cd607b3.jpg</div>

<p>It did come with the original caps. Unfortunately the front cap's felt has degraded and left black marks around the front of the lens barrel. Also unfortunately the helical is frozen. Even after some drops of lighter fluid to see if I could free it, I couldn't get it to turn more than 90 degrees before I stripped the skin off my fingers... it'll have to come apart I guess. Interestingly for a longer lens, it focuses down to 3.5'</p>

<div>00ZBMt-389275684.jpg.2298287896e8c6d3898d63b596415034.jpg</div>

<p>The box has a price tag from "Minifilm Camera Corp." on it - for $64.95 - seems like a steep price to me. I'm assuming this dates from the mid to late 50s? I can find barely any info on these lenses. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance to anybody who can fill me in.</p>

<p>Just from what camerapedia says- it came into existence after the war and the 50s-60s would be a good guess for its heyday.</p>

<p>They made lenses in many mounts, and I do recall owning a lens from them years ago and I can't recall if it was in Leica, Olympus or some other mount. I also heard some 1970s era "Vivitar" and "Sun" labeled lenses were the same.<br />That box looks like they were copying the Leica style boxes from back in the day...</p>

<p>Minifilm was one of the NYC biggies at the time.<br>

Spiratone also sold Sun lenses, and I suspect the one in the ad from 1953 is for your lens. It was in Leica mount, but the price was lower.</p>

<p>Do show us some pictures ;)</p><div>00ZBOu-389313584.jpg.505dbf1af117c27ec4c04843cf2bb35c.jpg</div>

<p>Have a look at :<a href="http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sun">http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sun</a><br /> I have several Sun lenses, ranging from 35mm to 200mm, and though they vary in quality, they're overall of sound construction and good performance. There's a little 135mm f/3.5 in M42 mount which is a very worthwhile lens. Mine are of later vintage than your copy, <strong>Dave</strong>; that's a very pretty lens and I hope you can get it working and show us some results.</p>

<p>I've started to take it apart, but I've stopped because the quality of the materials isn't very good (very soft brass and aluminum) I'm not sure I could take it apart without damaging it. The helical seems to be completely frozen. :\ <br>

Some day when I have both plentiful amounts of time and patience... Even so it's a pretty interesting paper weight.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the ad though!</p>

<p>I had a late model Sun zoom, kind of fell apart on me! I do think that the earlier Sun lenses were well made though, and yours looks very nice in satin chrome, great box too.<br>

Even if it doesn't shoot too well, it certainly matches your EXA very nicely, great find, expecially with the box.</p>

<p>What Tony said.. it does match your Exakta very nicely and having the box is an extra to boot. Although many frown upon certain chemicals.. WD 40 might be the stuff to free the helical. It is not aggressive on glass at all .. at least in my experience.<br>

I used it on an Exakta mount 50 mm Tessar which was close to frozen with less than 90 degrees of movement. Although it freed it up, it was still very hard to turn. I did eventually take it apart and clean the old grease out which was the main problem. It now works ok! Just to get you further, let some soak in hopefully enough movement to effectively get i apart safely. Heat might be another consideration.</p>

<p>Thanks for the ad! That really is great.<br>

Unfortunately I think this lens may be a job for a qualified repairman. The construction is a little bit baffling and I'm afraid of damaging the soft metal it is made out of.<br>

Or I could put it on a bellows and do some nice macro work!</p>