Suggestion / request

Tony Parsons

When I am viewing the various threads in 'No Words', I have a choice of either 'Like' or (if already 'Liked', 'Unlike' - which I presume is not synonymous with 'Dislike'). There are many images that appeal, and those I like, I 'Like', if you follow.

However, sometimes there are images that appeal so much that I feel a stronger measure of approbation would be nice, rather than just 'Like'. Does anyone else feel this ?

Absolutely! And when there is an exceptional photo I send a PM. Just did it yesterday.

• Like 2

When I am viewing the various threads in 'No Words', I have a choice of either 'Like' or (if already 'Liked', 'Unlike' - which I presume is not synonymous with 'Dislike'). There are many images that appeal, and those I like, I 'Like', if you follow.

However, sometimes there are images that appeal so much that I feel a stronger measure of approbation would be nice, rather than just 'Like'. Does anyone else feel this ?

That is an excellent suggestion, but being a British pensioner, with the traditional British reserve when contacting strangers, I would not be comfortable doing that, I'm afraid.

Got to tell you, all those decades ago, when I had holidays in England, there was never a problem with the warmest kind of welcome! Though I admit, other than being an American, I probably wasn't particularly strange back then.:D

• Like 1

When this "Like" business started, I simply found it impossible to not 'like' almost everything, which made the ones not 'liked' glaring. So I decided not to play in this arena.

It's nice to get likes, but since I don't do them myself, I certainly don't expect them from others.

(BTW, so-called 'split infinitives' are in reality simply the underlying Germanic roots of English peeking through generations of picky prescriptive over-education.)

• Like 1

The old saw, "Behavior that gets rewarded gets repeated" however any member cares to "play the game" is up to them. I don't post a great deal, and don't worry about likes. Whatever incents someone to take good photos, and and advance skills isn't a bad thing. Edited by Sandy Vongries

when there is an exceptional photo I send a PM

I do the same.

being a British pensioner, with the traditional British reserve when contacting strangers, I would not be comfortable doing that

Seriously, at first I read too quickly and thought you wrote "being a British prisoner." When I re-read, I realized it wasn't quite so glamorous! :)

Anyway, just imagine the potential exhilaration in breaking free and making someone's day by giving them a personal kudos.

picky prescriptive over-education

,,, or simple American English grammar ... which, thankfully, changes with the times. This is borne out by many of the more contemporary style books willing to boldly go where only the brave have dared go before by okaying the splitting of infinitives. :eek:

Now, I'm told, we may also start sentences with coordinating conjunctions. And—hahaha—we may, but should tread lightly in doing so, end sentences with prepositions if to do otherwise would render a sentence needlessly circuitous. It's also now considered ok, if not desirable, to employ they as a singular pronoun in certain instances. It still hurts my ears but the more I do it the less it hurts.

"You talkin' to me?"

Who? Me?

No. Us! lol

Reminds me of a course in Existentialism I once took where the professor swore us to secrecy about her interpretation of something Sartre said in one of his lectures. She took him to be building on one of Western Philosophy's heroes in restating the famous proposition ... We think, therefore we are.

In some universes singular and plural aren't as far apart as we might think ...

But, the big question here is whether there should be a comma after the prepositional phrase just above?

Only The Shadow knows for sure.

"You talkin' to me?"

That is an excellent suggestion, but being a British pensioner, with the traditional British reserve when contacting strangers, I would not be comfortable doing that, I'm afraid.

Photo.net's No Words Forum might just push you outside your comfort zone - go ahead, the first, and probably subsequent recipients, will gain great joy and pleasure that their photo you pushed you way way outside that sticky British 'politeness'.

The world could do with a bit more fun.

WW

I do the same.

Seriously, at first I read too quickly and thought you wrote "being a British prisoner." When I re-read, I realized it wasn't quite so glamorous! :)

Anyway, just imagine the potential exhilaration in breaking free and making someone's day by giving them a personal kudos.

,,, or simple American English grammar ... which, thankfully, changes with the times. This is borne out by many of the more contemporary style books willing to boldly go where only the brave have dared go before by okaying the splitting of infinitives. :eek:

Now, I'm told, we may also start sentences with coordinating conjunctions. And—hahaha—we may, but should tread lightly in doing so, end sentences with prepositions if to do otherwise would render a sentence needlessly circuitous. It's also now considered ok, if not desirable, to employ they as a singular pronoun in certain instances. It still hurts my ears but the more I do it the less it hurts.

Thanks for your input, Sam - I shall take suggestions, by yourself and others, 'on board', as the modern idiom has it, and mull them over at my leisure - of which I have plenty these days. Although not technically a 'prisoner', as I am self-isolating I get very little contact with others, so the general effect may be somewhat similar ! :) Stand by, people, for a plethora of 'Ultra-likes' :):)

However, in matters of grammar, I enjoy the adjurations and precepts of one Sheldon Lee Cooper.