Star filter? 6 or 8 points? generic or brand name?

denny_lai1

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I am looking to add some light effect on my photos, thinking to buy a star filter, I am leaning toward a 6 points filter, maybe a Hoya. I noticed there are generic brand starting from $7, I want to see if anyone has any input on 6 vs. 8 points filters and generic vs. brand name. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>My usual advice when buying special effects or experimental filters is to try a Cokin first. They're inexpensive new and can often be found dirt cheap used from ebay or pawn shops. I have a couple dozen of 'em and the whole lot probably cost less than $20, including three filter holders. I like their wacky multi-color polarizers for use with color film photos, and their contrast filters for b&w film work well enough as long as the optical resin isn't scuffed or scratched (very soft stuff).</p>

<p>But in this case the Cokins and low priced star filters are a waste of money even at $7. I have one and it takes a very bright direct light in the frame to get any star effect. It doesn't work worth a darn with candle light, which is what most people want. To get a good star filter effect without making the entire image soft you'll need to step up in class to a Lee or comparable quality.</p>

<p>Also, see <a href="00TLuU?unified_p=1"><strong>this related thread</strong> </a> from yesterday for reference.</p>

• 2 weeks later...