Spokane Falls Community College two year photography course

gwen_anderson

<p>My high school senior daughter is wanting to go to photography school after graduation. She is looking at the Seattle Central Community College program which I have read great reviews about. We live in Eastern Washington State and I have found that the Spokane Falls Community College has a 2-year photography program. I am just curious if anyone here has any comments about this program? She'd much rather live in Seattle then Spokane but the cost of living may be less in Spokane. Any comments about this program and other aspects of the school and community would be greatly appreciated.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Check the courses offered. I got a BS in Technical Photography from Appalachian State University in NC. I interviewed for a job teaching photography at Catawba Valley Community College (Asheville, NC) and was severly underqualified. The 2 year students were doing things that the 4 year program I went to didn't even mention. That might not be the case with the schools you're looking at, but in the photography field a BS/BA doesn't mean as much as a good portfolio. A better education might be had at a much lower price. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I can personally speak of the program and its faculty. I briefly taught there myself. All the faculty are or have been working professional photographers. Most having owned there own businesses. The program has everything available that a student could use in two years. If your daughter is motivated and looks beyond the assignments given to her she can be well prepared to enter the field after graduating. But let me stress this point-if she is not self motivated she should look to a different field. You can not make it in photography without a lot of work and determination. The program at Spokane Falls has the facilities and faculty to prepare any student who can push themselves beyond her fellow students.</p>