Spiratone 180º Fish Eye (auxiliary) Lens

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by jdm_von_weinberg, Jul 4, 2010.

1. A little off from original topic, but the cheapest way (albeit lowest quality way) to get fish eye effects was to take one of the better door view scopes and mount it in the center of a lens cap. Then find a lens that would reach focus with it, and you have a psuedo-fisheye. Edmund Scientific actually suggested this application in one of their catalogs.

James Bryant likes this.
  2. Another cheap and low quality way is to buy one of these at a thrift store:

Fisheye One 35 mm Camera All Black

Note that the lens mostly blocks the non-fisheye viewfinder.

3. Interestingly, we likely know the lens that was used to film the lipreading sequence. It was a 25-250mm zoom lens; possibly a Cooke Panavision. We don't know the focal length that was used, but it's clear it was fairly long - probably on the long end of the zoom.

Also, the pull-out on the zoom wasn't used in the final film.

5630517853_1b03f059a0_o.jpeg

Mike Gammill and James Bryant like this.
  4. Wow. I think I have found someone who is even more "involved" with Kubrick's films (or at least this one) than I.
    Bravo!

Without obsessions, we would still be making Oldowan pebble choppers.:rolleyes:

NK Guy likes this.
  5. Well. I'm not involved with the film. Just somewhat interested. :)

6. Sure, lots of people have daily continuity reports for 2001:)

7. Being an Alpa owner, the ultra wide angle lens which always piqued my curiosity was the Volpi Peri-Appolar. Mainly because of its unorthodox appearance, admittedly. But it also seems to be a—if not unique, then—very unusual lens.
    More:
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01221/01221.pdf

NK Guy likes this.