Hello,

I haven't been able to find any advice on mail-order scanning of

medium format film. I'd like to find a shop that does quailty scans

in both jpg and tiff format. I enjoy printing in my improvised

darkroom, but I'd also like scans in the 30 MB range, and I can't

afford a decent scanner that accepts anything but 35mm. Thanks in

advance for your input.

Dan

Dan, good luck, I print my negs then scan the prints on my flatbed because I too do not want to shell out 3 G's on a scanner for mf film. and forget your local fuji or agfa printers the scans are crap unless you can get them to scan as tiffs (I have been told that on a Fuji frontier telling it to output to tiff sets the scan to max res. Where as a normal scan is made for 4x6 or 5x7 reprints.) then they do not fit on one cd and the people who work there either wont do it or do not know how.

Dan, when it comes to scanning, the most important thing to consider is whether you will be printing from this digital file. If you are going to print in this manner, I suggest you send your film out to be scanned. There are many to choose from. Some argue that a drum scan is still the only way to go for making digital prints. I couldn't tell you myself. However, if you are scanning for web purposes, a flatbed scanner will do fine. I bought a cheapy Canon 8400F for just over 100 bucks and it does great for this purpose. Mostly I scan prints, as it usually handles this job a little better than film. Also, remember that a flatbed scanner has an easier time scanning medium format film than it does with 35mm.

• 3 months later...