Source For Frames

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by ed_farmer, Aug 24, 2020.

1. I used to stock up on reasonably priced 8x10 and 11x14 frames when Michael's or A.C. Moore had sales. I used these for photos given as gifts or, the past, to hang in the kids rooms. Mostly narrow, black wood or metal frames.

Now, I'm seeing everything at two or three times the prices that I used to pay on sale.

What source are you using for inexpensive frames?

2. Ikea carries a number of pre-matted frames. Not terribly fancy, and with plastic instead of glass, but the least expensive I've found.

Brad_ likes this.
  3. Adorama has a good selection at reasonable prices.

4. I once found that it was cheaper to buy framed pictures, then remove the picture, than buying empty frames

5. My usual go-to place for frames, glass and matting is Hobby Lobby, locally in Prescott, AZ but stores everywhere in the U.S. Frame prices tend to be a little high, but every other week the store goes into a store-wide, 50% off sale. You have to be careful when buying frames because the quality varies from time to time (warping, scratches, etc.) But, overall, They're reliable.

And, no, I don't work for them, just a usually happy customer.

6. Exactly.
    House clearance auctions and charity shops are usually stacked with cheap framed prints or near-worthless amateur daubs.

7. I have bought frames from Contempoary Frame Company for a long time. It has been a while and I hope they are still around. I have also had good luck at my local Goodwill store. I have bought some very nice frames with glass for $5.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020