Some recent Lightroom tips from Adobe

<p>Tanks, Brad. I find this recommendation interesting:</p>

<h3 id="pHardwarep">Hardware</h3>

<a name="main-pars_text_11"></a>

<p>SSD drives: If you have a solid-state drive, Lightroom is faster if you put your catalog (the .lrcat file) and image previews (the .lrdata file) on the SSD drive.</p>

<p>Is anybody using this setup? I have all images plus catalog and data file on one 7200 rpm disk and would like to improve load times of RAW images. Thanks in advance for any comments from users who have this arrangement (Windows 7 64-bit).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is anybody using this setup?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, to the T with a catalog of >110,000 images on a Samsung 830 120Gb SSD. The OS and my 20 key applications (including LR) are also on the SSD. Performance is excellent, but this is a new Hackintosh running on a Sandy Bridge processor with 16Gb of RAM, so I don't have a non-SSD baseline to compare things to. I think a similar setup with Win 7 would perform very similarly.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is anybody using this setup? I have all images plus catalog and data file on one 7200 rpm disk and would like to improve load times of RAW images. Thanks in advance for any comments from users who have this arrangement (Windows 7 64-bit).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm using this setup, LR Catalogs and ACR cache are all on their own separate SSD, the operating system/programs gets its own SSD. The SSD speeds up scrolling through the grid view, and it speeds up flipping from image to image and general responsiveness in the Loupe view. It does NOT speed up the Develop module or rendering previews or importing/exporting images. Those are all activities that require the CPU to do a lot of work, so you'll need a faster processor if you want to see improvement there. </p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Sheldon</strong>. I can verify (for others who might be reading this thread) that what you wrote is not local to your machine, as I moved my catalog and previews files last night to my SSD. I see the same gains you describe and since I have a fairly speedy CPU, the general responsiveness you described is exactly what I was looking for.</p>

<p>Sheldon, Peter:</p>

<p>I think the main reason why loading full-resolution pictures (which LR always does when you open the develop module) is not speeded up by your SSD drive is because your full-resolution pictures are not on your SSD drive. Only your catalog and previews are, so only browsing and previewing are speeded up. When SSDs get cheaper and we can store all our original picture files on them, we'll see further improvement.</p>

<p>Just my guess, of course.</p>