Soligor

<p>Picked up a Soligor 28-200 3.8-5.5 in F mount for shamefully few dollars as it had a nasty gouge in the front element. I haven't yet given it the complete acid test but here's a shot I like, followed by the crop I am currently using on my desk top. Camera is a Photomic FTN</p><div>00Ynwy-363787584.jpg.2cdfcdc09bb56c189d8f5c379825968f.jpg</div>

<p>Looks good, Roger. In the early days of the wide-to-long tele zoom this lens and the Kiron-branded 28-210 were mostly it, until the compact Tamron 28-210 hit the market. And the Tamron was initially just autofocus, with the Adaptall version coming a bit later. Once the Tamron came out, dealers had a really tough time moving the Soligor, Kiron, and others. Results here look promising. BTW, how does it do with distortion?</p>

<p>I like the very subtle hues of the shot, its very understated yet engaging - down to the reflections in the water. Very nice!</p>

<p>I've had a 80-200 f4.5 Soligor zoom for years now, also a shamefully cheap purchase, and while, yes, it has obvious shortcomings if you really push it out of its "comfort" zone, it has served me well and many pictures came out of its humble optics that are dear to me. I guess it really goes to show how good even the cheap aftermarket lenses used to be.</p>

<p>The results look like the proof of the pudding.</p>

<p>Real India ink (not black Sharpie) in the 'gash' can sometimes help to suppress reflections/flare off the edges of the scratch. Put it on, wipe it off, to leave it just in the scratch.</p>

<p>It has always been amazing to me how much 'bad' you have to do to a lens to make it useless.</p>

<p>Probably a lesson here for the debate on 'protection filter' quality... ;)</p>

<p>Being the proud owner of at least half a dozen "Soligors" of varying descriptions, all of them acquired for trifling expenditure, I'm not in the least surprised that the lens gives you decent images. My copies are uniformly adequate, with some bordering on excellent. Just who manufactured Soligor lenses remains something of a mystery, the name "Soligor" basically being a "brand" owned by the importers Allied Impex Corporation. Nice photograph, <strong>Roger</strong>; love that "deep woods" ambiance.</p>

I have but a single Soligor copy, a 200 Tele-Auto in Konica mount that came for free with a camera purchase, that I've been

impressed with. I recall I bought a Konica T2 to get a 57mm 1.4, and the guy handed over a nice Toshiba flash and the big

Soli after the sale.

I really should have Greg Weber attempt a service on it. He has told me some of the Soligors he can CLA, and some he

can't. Mine has fine screws in the ring, which he says is a good sign.

Do enjoy. Ted

<p>Here's a link with a little bit of Soligor info:<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soligor">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soligor</a> Rick mentioned that the brand name was owned by Allied Impex Corp. There may be a bit more at the link, but not much.<br>

I have a Soligor 135mm f2.8 EE in Konica AR mount and it is a good performer. The 80-200 f4.5 that Peter mentions is also a good lens as well. When my family sold Soligar lenses at the family camera shop, this was one of our best selling tele zooms. With this lens a hood is a good idea since the front element is not recessed by much. One of my favorite Soligor accessories was the 2X Multipurpose converter. Useful as a conventional 4 element 2X convertor or the lens assembly bayonets out and then it serves as an automatic extension tube. </p>

<p>Roger, would you (or anyone else here, for that matter) have any opinions as to the strong and/or weak areas of the 28-200 thus far? I'm in a position to get one for my camera, and even with the few images taken through it that I have found online, looks like a possible contender for my "go-bag".<br /><br />I've had some good experiences with Soligor, too. I have the 500mm f8 C/D mirror lens (T-mount). It's a solid lens (both in terms of quality and resilience), good contrast and sharpness, though a little slow to focus. Has a good heft, too.<br /><br />Oh, and hello everybody. First post.</p>