SMALL Light Meter

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Two23, Jul 19, 2018.

1. I have used also Weston Master ll , which was nice and small meter.
    Then used for a while Minolta auto meter lV , which was to big.
    However since I have my cell all the time with me , in the last few years I use only light meter app.
    Here is a screenshot .
    thumbnail.jpeg

2. I love relics.
    Every photo I take is a relic.

3. Plus 2 for Gossen Pilot

4. He said some Bewi were kind of cute. Not sure how good they are, but perhaps cute

th-3.jpg th.jpg

5. I ended up finding a deal on a used L-208 at KEH, so I bought it! The size is right and it looks easy. Nearly bought a Pilot 2 but reviews saying it's not so good in dim light kind of scared me away. I think I'll keep looking for a pristine and working Zeiss Ikophot too. They are a work of art for sure! I was wanting a small meter to use with my Voigtlander Bessa RF (1937) on a trip next month, and I think the L-208 will work for night shots in Seattle as well as landscapes in the Scab Lands. Thanks for all the responses--I learned a lot by researching each meter.

Kent in SD

6. AJG

AJG

Much as I like the Zeiss Ikophot, it is a vintage selenium cell meter so it isn't great in low light if that's one of the things you need.

7. I had the same with a Pilot 1 it seemed to happen after I was using it for a time and after letting it set for awhile it was ok, so maybe using it over and over running the needle back and forth for quite a few readings magnetizes it ?? could that be a possibility?

8. "I had the same with a Pilot 1 it seemed to happen after I was using it for a time and after letting it set for awhile it was ok, so maybe using it over and over running the needle back and forth for quite a few readings magnetizes it ?? could that be a possibility?"

Hmm...maybe. But I like my ghost theory better. :)

9. Yes it's best to check the accuracy before buying one. I was extremely lucky to get an accurate Ikophot with a camera I bought. In a low light condition requiring 1/8s f4 at 100asa, it's overexposing only 1/2 stop compared to my Bronica AE111 meter

10. - Weston meters are easy to check. All you need to do is find somewhere to point one at that sends the needle close to full-scale in the low-light range. (That's 50 on the model iii). Then flip the mask to the high range and see if you get the same reading. If not, chances are that the cell is dying. If the readings match up you're good to go.

The above test takes longer to explain than perform. It might work for other meters too.

11. Hello again. Kent has gotten the meter he wanted, but for those interested in "funky" time period meters might I suggest the Weston 835. Made late 40's to mid 50's, it has a nice look from it's bakelite housing. I have two that are tack on for daylight use, very spotty for dark. If my Isolette II did not have the wild blue bellows, I could sneak into a film noir set as an extra. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill Iso2-Weston.JPG

12. Hello again. For those of you with the Weston II or III meters, an ideal belt pouch is the Lowepro Tahoe 10. It is discontinued by them, but many are available on Ebay. I just got two for $8 delivered. Bill

13. I have the Weston Master II. I like the leather case that it came with. The meter is reasonably accurate but the dials very difficult to set. They are stiff and hard to read. I would rather guess the exposure than using it.

14. Older light meters can still be pretty accurate and also easily adjustable if they aren't. I use my trusty General Electric PR-1. They are cheap online and have that classic look. Easy to use as well!

Vintage-1950s-GE-PR-1-SELENIUM-EXPOSURE-METER-Photography.jpg

133862.jpg

15. Ooops, didn't realize I was adding on to an old thread.... the OP probably found something by now.

16. Yes he bought a Sekonic L208. I just bought one as well, not thirty minutes ago, a new one at a good price with the shoe mount bracket etc. I would have liked a Digisix but nothing was coming up except on the Bay which isn't the best way for me to buy these days, total costs can be no better than hi-way robbery.

The L208 goes down to EV3, that's plenty low enough for me, not that I'll ever go that low, but I could try it and report back with a pic. Likewise with f32, which I'll be using a lot for my ancient Kodak folders.

jason_withers likes this.
  17. As an aside, an Etalon Special exposure meter arrived the other day, a product of the Chuo Electronic Company in Japan. From the rear you'd easily mistake it for a Weston meter, and it's not often you see such a blatant knock-off. The earlier style Weston Invercone fits perfectly, so I've read.The frontal treatment is quite different from the Weston, and it's a well-finished and attractive meter. Both it and the Weston are alive and reasonably accurate.

Meters.jpg

18. Verify the ranges for the f stops, ISOs, etc that you'll need.

19. ]

]

Beautiful light meter and beautiful Kiev classic.