Slow or not working internet

<p>For the last few weeks, my internet connection are getting very slow to respond. Sometime it goes to a page but never loads it. Sometime internet stops and the computer closes internet and re-starts it.</p>

<p>Virus? other issue?</p>

<p>I'm running Windows 8.1 and IE11.</p>

<p>Any recommendations?</p>

<p>1. Did you try to connect your phone or tablet wireless to the same router ? The same problem ?<br>

2. Disconnect your router/modem from the wall, wait 1 to 2 minutes and connect it again, wait until complete restart. Try again.<br>

3. Check for Addware pluggins/extensions/add-ons installed on your browser.<br>

If still the same problem call your provider support.</p>

<p>Alan, Google "Internet Speed Test" and try out any of the return sites. They will detect your location and ISP to test Ping and upload and download speed.</p>

<p>You might want to do this over the course of the day to determine if patterns exist. In my case, certain hours of the day are highly congested and much slower than other times. </p>

<p>Try *anything* other than Internet Explorer. IE remains the slowest of the major PC browsers. I only use Internut Exploder to handle administrative stuff on my old Hotmail account. And I dread using IE for that because it can take 2-3 minutes just to load IE and open my Hotmail account. Pain in the neck.</p>

<p>Otherwise I use Chrome for speed and Firefox for security. Firefox can be tweaked to be quicker than Chrome, but I have Firefox loaded up with a bunch of security stuff that slows it down a bit. It's still a speed demon compared with IE.</p>

<p>download ccleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download<br /> run the "cleaner", the first tab, at the default settings. then run the registry cleaner, second tab. then go into tools tab and turn off any processes that don't need to run at start up. restart computer.</p>

<p>then download 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' and run it.</p>

<p>Both of these will run fine and not clash with any AV software you may already have. Download and speedtests don't mean anything if your computer is riddled or has software issues.</p>

<p>Turn off computer and unplug from wall for ten minutes. Push the power button on a few times to dump residual stored in capacitors. Turn off and unplug your routers for 15 mins. Sometimes just getting a new ip address fixes issues. Turn it back on, then your computer. Use Firefox, not IE</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well after clearing the cache history, temp internet files and cookies, the system is loading the pages quickly again. was also able to load the .php page although that took a little longer. I'll monitor it going forward to see if there are issues remaining. Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>I have 2 Win8.1 machines and use Firefox on both.<br /> https://www.mozilla.org/<br /> I have not liked IE since I switched to Win 8/8.1'</p>

<p>I use Advanced System Care http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php . It is an excellent, easy to use program that I have been using since Win XP.</p>

<p>In IE Internet Options general tabs select Delete Browsing History on exit check box then click on Delete... and select the items that you want deleted when closing the browser. Deleting cookies will cause you to have to log in each time you open the browser to your home page and will cause you to go through security procedures from your bank's web site to log in each time, a big hassle.</p>

<p>Can you change zoom levels and do you have Tabs in Firefox? I seem to recall they din't have those things a while back which is why I stayed with IE.</p>

<p>I'm also running McAfee-Live Safe. Shouldn't that take care of these things like CCleaner, Anti-Malware and Microsoft software removal tool (I do get auto updates from Microsoft for the same thing?)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Can you change zoom levels and do you have Tabs in Firefox?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alan, you should be able to zoom/unzoom with any browser by using Ctl-Scroll (hold the Control key while scrolling with your mouse wheel). <br>

<br>

Zoom/unzoom will impact all tabs containing content from the same website, but not others. </p>

<p>Firefox has tabbed browsing by default. There are several buttons that you can add via the customize option. I show the zoom arrows as well as the size in terms of %. There are a lot of add-ons that you can easily get from their add on page.</p>

<p>Windows builds up registry entries for everything on the computer. When you delete something the registry entry stays but gets flagged to ignore. After a while this builds up causing the computer to run slower.<br>

A lot of the cookies you get from web sites are tracking cookies from the advertisements running on the web pages, some of which are considered malware.<br>

Windows has a utility called Disk Cleanup, found under Administrative Tools in Control Panel. It can be used to remove the left over temporary files left behind by programs and installers as well as other computer slowing software.</p>

<p>Advanced System Care has a feature that you have to set that prevents your home page from being changed unless you allow it called home page protection. This computer came with McAfee security suite for free for 1 year. At about 10 months in with home page protection set a second tab would open to a site which varied from Russian Girls to similar Russian sites. I notified ASC via their email support at iobit.com and called McAfee. The representative at McAfee said they were only concerned with infections once they occurred and were not interested in suspicious behavior. Iobit took it seriously and updated their software. I found a tracking cookie that kept installing itself on subsequent web browsing sessions after being deleted to be the source for the second tab. After the initial report the cookie stopped for a week or so then started again but this time the second tab would flicker a few times before becoming a solid tab. Another report to iobit and it stopped.<br>

After the call to McAfee I uninstalled all their software and installed Comodo security suite. I reported the second home page tab along with the cookie to them as well as to Firefox. Although I never got a responce from Mozilla or Comodo the tracking cookie stopped so someone shut it down or found a solid way to block it.</p>

<p>When I bought the second Win8.1 computer I uninstalled McAfee even though it had a free 1 year service and went straight to Comodo http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Internet-Security-Premium/3000-2239_4-10460704.html .</p>

<p> </p>