Shutter Release Cable

tony_m

<p>I always used a manual shutter release cable when shooting with my 35MM film SLR mounted on a tripod. Do any DSLRs offer a shutter button which will accept a screw-in manual shutter release cable? I'm not as steady as I was and shooting in low light conditions and exposure bracketing situations can be a problem.</p>

<p>The modern electronic equivalent can be wired or wireless and can have lots more features than the old screw-in ones ever did.<br>

As Stephen says, most use a proprietary connector so they're a bit pricy from the camera mfrs, but cheap enough from 3rd parties on eBay etc.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Most digital cameras have the option of 2 second or 10 second delay release after pressing the trigger. Like you I too used to use a cable release even before old age made me less steady :-) so with digital I use the two second when hand holding for slower shutter speeds and the ten second when working with a tripod ... to me the latter is the modern equivalent of un-cap and capping the lens for an exposure without a shutter :-)<br>

Another option is to make a fitting which holds a regular cable release and slides into the accessory shoe on top of the camera and the release works directly down onto the camera trigger. I made one for my Nikon 5700 years ago now but rarely/never have use[d] it prefering the 10 sec release. Further option is to organise a fitting to use the tripod thread of the camera if no accessory shoe ... else butcher the camera by adding a mounting :-)<br>

My Panasonic FZ30/50's have an electronical cable release and I got a forty foot extension cord for this on Ebay along with the basic five foot release cord. The button works like a camera trigger with "half-trigger" to set the camera up and full pressure to work the shutter.</p>

<p>I have used cable and wireless remote releases with all of my digital cameras, it's an essential tool: I would not buy a camera that did not allow me to use a remote. </p>

<p>The old 'standard' screw-in mechanical cable release is no longer very common or standard. Electronic remotes ... cable, optical (IR) or RF ... are available for all but the most basic consumer-grade DSLRs. Which camera are you looking at? </p>

<p>When machanical cameras had mechanical shutter releases a mechanical cable was needed to move the shutter botton. By the 1990 most cameras had electricallycontroled shutters. It only made sense to replace the mchanical shutter release withan electrcal switch and an electrcal connnector. Some older cameras with electrcally controlled shutters were made to accept the mechanical cable release. But I am not aware of any today that are in production. </p>

<p>An additional advantage of electrical cable releases is that the electrical swtch can be replaced with an IR orradio reciever for remote triggering. Also some electrical cable release incorporate electrical timers so for vary long exposures you don't have to returnlater to end the exposure since it can end automatically. </p>

<p>You didn't say what kind of camera you have, but if it's the kind that accepts a wired remote, you may be able to cobble one together with off the shelf parts at radio shack. I saw a site that described how to make one for a Canon DSLR. I think it only cost about ten bucks for all the parts. If this sounds appealing to you, a Google search may find a DIY link for your camera.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Depending on the camera, you can find cheaper wired shutter releases on ebay and on the internet. Here is one such site:<br>

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=278</p>

<p>If your camera doesn't take a wired shutter release, or there is another reason you can't use the wired shutter release, Adorama has two items that would let you use a wired shutter release from a film camera:<br>

http://www.adorama.com/CZCRAS.html<br>

http://www.adorama.com/VXCRB.html</p>

<p>Right now, I have this project to put my Olympus E-P2 inside of a Kodak Pony Premo 5x7 field camera from around 1910. One of the things I want to do is put a shutter release cable on to make firing easier. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough room to put the electronic shutter release cable without drilling into the donor body (Olympus put the cable in an awkward location). I thought about getting the above parts from Adorama, but instead, I'm fashioning a holder out of wood. I cut a small scrap of wood to fit, drilled a 1/2" hole to fit over the shutter button, and I need to get a small nut that the film wired shutter release fits into.</p>

• 4 months later...