should I bring a portfolio?

<p>Hello All-<br>

I was recently contacted by a fairly prestigious Bay Area restaurant group about possibly doing some photography for one of their restaurants.<br>

We have a meeting scheduled for next Monday and I'm wondering whether I should bring some work with me or not. I don't have a ton of experience in this area (i'm more of a wedding/portrait gal), although I'm convinced I can do a great job with food photography and some interior shots. They've seen the sameples I emailed them, so I'm assuming they're fine with my work if they want to set up a meeting.<br>

I'm worried that since I don't have an extensive portfolio in this area bringing my dinky few examples would actually work to my disadvantage.<br>

Any thoughts?<br>

Also, I'm not sure how to quote a thing like this. I don't think I even have enough info at this point to formulate a quote, but I'm hoping they don't ask for one on the spot after we have a conversation. Is it kosher to go home, do a little reasearch and then send them something?<br>

Thanks for any feedback.</p>

<p>Normally, I would say bring a portfolio. However, just like you already intuited, not having ANYTHING like what they want MAY (although not definitely) not do you any favours - you never know who will be present in the meeting and if it's someone who has not seen your work or may be more demanding or whatever, then lack of experience may work against you.</p>

<p>How about if you shoot some food photography during the weekend? That should not be THAT hard, and you can even work on your strong points..;-)</p>

<p>As for quoting, well, that's another ball of wax altogether. I would charge for the session(s) and then additionally for the usage. If they want to simply use the images on their catalogues, for example, then a one off charge would be more inline. If they want them for promotional purposes, then a different pricing structure is called for. And so on and so forth...</p>

<p>If they did not ask to see a portfolio, don't bring anything.<br>

This is not a ad agency.</p>

<p>What you SHOULD bring:</p>

<p>Confidence "Can Do" attitude.<br>

Questions<br>

Marketing attitude</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We have a meeting scheduled for next Monday</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You will know more how to price this AFTER the meeting.</p>

<p>I doubt you will be meeting with AD's or PE's who know what questions to ask.<br>

AD's & PE's know a lot about photography, photographers and pricing.</p>

<p>These people want to know one thing; "How much?"</p>

<p>This will be all about timing and realistic expectations.<br>

Delay your pricing. On the spot pricing is amateur hour..besides, it sounds like you will need time to know what to charge.<br>

By telling them you need a day or two to quote a fee shows you are thoughtful.</p>

<p><em>Perception <strong>IS</strong> reality.</em></p>

<p>Rikki,<br>

I agree more with Marios. Showing up unprepared is not a good idea. Spend the weekend doing some shooting and arrive with PRINTED photograph and not just a laptop. You have a few days and this can be done.<br>

Also, put together some pricing guidelines that you can leave with them. You may want to let them know that you use your hourly rate as a basis to estimate the job and you can give them a flat rate for the shooting once they decide exactly what they would like you to do.<br>

To have these people assembled so that you can gather information and tell them "I'll get back to you" will be considered to be a waste of time by them.<br>

Good luck, be confident and make sure you're going to make a true profit from this job...-TED</p>

<p>Rikki, I tend to agree more with Kevin's recommended approach. To his short list of what to bring, I would add "a friendly attitude," showing yourself as someone with whom they will want to work. I also agree about delaying the pricing. This is an information-gathering meeting; you can't give a price without first knowing what they want. I would spend time thinking about what you need to know and what questions you need to ask rather than trying to develop a last-minute portfolio focused on their specific interests. They may not know entirely what they want from you. This meeting can be your chance to collaborate with them to help clarify that, all of which you will need to then develop a price proposal. Good luck.</p>

<p>For pricing, you certainly can let them know you will contact them with pricing. You MUST know what your day rate is. They will probably ask you. But you can work up a quote later, and send it to them. Just make sure you get enough info in this first meeting to know the scope of the project. And take notes.</p>