Should I become a photographer?

mpblaze

<p>Become a photographer as in taking photos? Yes.<br>

Become a photographer as in trying to make a living at it... good luck with that... with the proliferation of easily available cameras (including cell phone cameras), everyone thinks they're a photographer. I interviewed with a photo company recently... the owner was convinced (and I could see no argument) that it is a dying business model.<br>

That doesn't mean you cannot make money at it... but you're likely to spend years and years having to do everything for yourself before you come up enough to be able to hire someone to do anything, including sweeping the floor, let alone do your books.</p>

<p>It will be tough to hire anyone to do anything as a starting photographer. Also, a common response here is "start your own business." Plenty of photographers don't start their own business. Even some that work independently, they may secure a long-term contract with a wire agency or a photographic services provider, which eliminates starting one's own business.</p>

<p>More importantly - what is your experience? What assignments have you done? What experience do you have delivering under pressure? Do you know how to set up a c-stand? What markets do you know that other photographers may not? What kind of photography have you done? Where's your online portfolio?</p>

<p>It takes a lot more than loving photography. If that was it, and if it paid well, many people on these forums would be professional photographers. On the other hand, most of the great photographers I know shooting for money have day jobs, including teaching or writing about photography. Or they have well-off spouses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Are you good enough? Love's not enough, contrary to what the Beatles say. Got to have know-how. What's your portfolio look like? Could you, right now, walk into an Art Director or potential client's office, one who's been buying photography services for 20 years and slap your book down and demand $3000 a day in shooting fees without getting the bums rush out the door? What kind of photography do you want to engage in? commercial, food, fashion - gasp, wedding? If you can, then get out there and knock on doors. If not, start studying.</p>

<p>Matt: I sell cameras to professional photographers. The consensus among them is that it takes years before there is any real income, and even then it is not a good income. Recently one of them wanted to buy a $2000. camera. He had to go to a leasing company for financing. He had about 20 years in the business and was considered successful. I had a portrait studio for 11 years. I did everything, including retouching (this was the film era and it was hard), film processing, bookkeeping and mopping the floors. I never could afford an assistant. I worked 7days a week, averaging maybe 75 hours. I barely made a living. I got only about a week a year off, and when I wanted a $2500. lens I had to go to a leasing company too. And I had a lot of previous business experience. It was the worst job I ever had. I am sorry that this makes you sad, but the reality is that unless you are a star it is not a good career. There may be an exception for wedding photographers. I do not know since I refused to do weddings because they depressed me. After 11 years I hated photography, and sold all the equipment. It was years before I wanted to use a camera again.</p>

<p>Talk to people, not just photographers, who have their own businesses. For one thing, I think when you say "I'll hire someone to do the books" they'll first laugh at you, then give you an earful about saving pennies, much less dollars.</p>

<p>My dad had his own business in our small town, and he was grateful for my mom's teacher's salary when that was miniscule. Vacations? Can't be gone if customers call. 8 to 5? Try 7 to 6, six days a week, if business was good; if not sitting at home, hoping. Hire someone? He hired his son (me) for maybe $10 date money (it was the mid sixties so that was okay, but for a week's work?)</p>

<p>I don't want to rain on your parade, plenty of people do succeed and do well with their own businesses, but if you want one good example of the pitfalls, find out how much used restaurant/bar equipment is available at any one time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I love photography more than any other activity, and I'm sure glad I didn't try to make it my profession. Being an agency biologist (I also love biology) enabled me financially to pursue photography (my photography, in my own way) to a much greater degree than if I had tried to be a professional photographer. </p>

<p>If photography is a passion for you, one option to consider is a full-time government job. They pay decently, and rarely require you to put in more than 40 hours a week. They leave you with lots of spare time and a bit of money for equipment.<br>

<br /> As far as paying the bills goes, my guess is that it is a lot better than chasing down wedding clients. It probably takes less time per week, also.</p>

<p>Matt, Photography is a wonderful creative outlet, a fantastic hobby and can be a very rewarding career. Like any serious calling to mastery, the road is paved with challenge. There are many obstacles to clear, both internal and external. Only a personal commintment of the highest order will get you there. Your vehicle is self discipline, education, hard work and persistance. The reality is.........it's not easy. But then, what worth doing ever is? The pressure to find (and keep) clients and deliver quality work day after day, or you and your family don't eat, is a situation that many folks, that enjoy photography as a fun hobby ,would rather not be in. Look inside yourself. What will you sacrifice? Are you willing to work harder/longer than everyone else? Do you take rejection/criticism well? Look at top photography work in the area you are interested in. Think your images can compete? What's your business skill level? So a few things to think about.</p>

<p>I see you are a new member to photo.net today. Knock around here a while . Chat with folks. Look at images. Read. Make images. Help others. Become a great photographer first and enjoy the process. Photography today is a wide field. Given time, study and serious contemplation, you will know if some area of photography, as a career, is in your future. At that time you won't need to ask others, you will know in your bones the right path. Good luck on your journey.</p>

<p>Even Ansel Adams struggled to pay the bills.</p>

<p>Make your best photos; go fishing for customers with them; don't bet the rent check on the photo income. It's not unreasonable, though, to pick up a few dollars to buy another roll of film or pay for the hamburger on that trip six months ago with some small photo sales. Most freelancers in creative works slowly grow their customer base over many years. Good luck. J.</p>

<p>A possible suggestion - this was the route I took, although it's not for everyone - is to remind you that the military uses and needs photographers. The Army has photojournalists, the Navy and Air Force has photographers. Pay is low, hours are long, experience is great and the equipment varies (at one point, I had a Hasselblad rig for the studio, as well as a Canon, a Nikon and a Mamiya all in my inventory plus all the film I could eat and associated chemistry in unlimited supply).<br>

If that seems like a good idea to you, then see your local recruiter (but beware, just like the local used-car salesman, if you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers). Like I wrote at the start this is not an avenue for everyone. But it is a good way to get experience.</p>

<p>I can't recommend a career in photography highly enough -- as long as you don't need things like food, shelter, electricity, etc. ;-)</p>

<p>It's often said that being successful as a photographer is much more about business acumen than photographic skills. That's absolutely true. You can be somewhat successful (food, heat, light) as a crappy photographer if you're good at promoting yourself. You can also starve as a brilliant photographer if you don't know how to crank the business end. However, considering my own experiences and those of most others I've read, my short answer would be:</p>

<p>NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.</p>

<p>"I love photography." The best reason <strong>not</strong> to turn pro. In college I loved literature, became a teacher. Only thing that saved me is that I quickly fell in love with teen-agers. The literature fell way down the list in priorities. I wonderhow much time a wedding photographer spends with camera in hand?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's often said that being successful as a photographer is much more about business acumen than photographic skills. That's absolutely true.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not absolutely true. That is only true if you want to be a self-employed photographer. Otherwise, the business skills requirements are the same as for any other job. There are plenty of photographer jobs that are full salary and you just go in and do your job. Staff photographers, corporate photographers, portrait chain photographers, etc. etc. etc. can go in and do their job and not have to worry about business acumen.</p>

<p>i wouldn't count on becoming a "pro", but i wouldn't call it an impossibility, either. if you work hard enough at it, have an eye for it, are willing to work hard and keep your eyes open for opportunities, you could make a living at it. realistically, however, the odds are probably against it.<br>

but if you really love it, does that mean you'd give it up if you aren't able to make photography your sole means of support? i think not. indeed, even if you must do some other kind of work to earn a living, it's good for the soul to have a passion for some kind of creative work. when i think of the hours people spend in front of a TV or computer, passively watching advertisements, it's depressing.<br>

you could be one of the "lucky" ones who make it, but even if you don't, don't ever lose that spark that makes you want to go out and create something new.</p>