Should I be nude when taking pictures at a Nudist beach?

jd_rose

Maybe they won't mind if you just wear a photographers' vest.

More seriously, average people on the street aren't so crazy about having their pictures taken these days. If you are inviting yourself to a nudist beach to take pictures, especially since you seem to be an outsider, you might expect some rejection. Keep us posted.

There is a wonderful book of photos taken at a series of nudist beaches. The name evades me at the moment - but something like "End of Summer" or "The Last of Summer". I recall that the photographer talks about his approach in there.

Got it: "The Last Day of Summer" by Jock Sturges. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0893815381/002-3443217-5916862?v=glance&n=283155

Regards

Mike

The country music song says that you can leave your hat on...

But everyone knows about the dork laying on the beach with a waist- level-finder camera and a towel over the camera...it gets spotted very quickly.

Of course there was a SF photographer that took large format photos of nudist childern. This was private nudist clubs and with the permission of the parents. The work was perfect, tasteful, and artful. So the local pro lab turned the photographer in and the FBI prosecuted...

But average people at a public nude beach are not agreeing to be photographed...

I would go nude and leave the camera at home unless I was with frineds, in which case I would use the camera nude, with the permission of friends.

I know it sounds daft, but some people are so hung up that the sight of a camera is deemed odd. In Ireland you can you can use a camera but if you point it at a fully clothed person they may get embarrassed. Canada is the land to live in.

Cheers.<div>00FYnZ-28663984.jpg.1c08f7ca181d1c076dcb5e80b04291fe.jpg</div>

you should probably be nude. it is atough call about how to handle the situation. you could hang a big sign on your hat that says "smile" if they smile snap away. if not wait for the next scene. let us know what happens.

eddie

ps. and yes, you should be in the lion's cage at the zoo. this way you will not get the bars in the shot. happy hunting

I once heard Spencer Tunick talking about this subject. He was naked at a nudist beach for one of his photography installments. I won't quote him but I think he said something about feeling outplaced and unfocused by the experience. To his credit, he wanted to become one of his subjects, and he did.

I'm not experienced enough to make a suggestion about this subject. But, I admit that I have wondered about the prospect.

Here's a sample of his work:

http://www.spencertunick.com/installations.html

-Vlad

Is there not a local junior college in your area that offers courses such as Pararazzi 101 and Ethics of Photography 102? You need to enroll in those in my book. Much more so than your obvious desire to cause an uproar on a private beach.

And you are obviously fully qualified to teach Insensitivity 100 at any college, if only they were to offer it....

People don't mind taking it off for Tunick because it's art. They know that he's not some creep doing god-knows-what with the photographs.

If this is something that you really want to do, be nude, be obvious, ask permission and get releases.

> Which seems odd to me- people will argue that the body is beautiful, shouldn't be ashamed of it, etc., then get upset if you photograph 'em. Go figure

Don't want to be harsh, but this seems like a ridiculous statement to me... just because something is beautiful and something to be proud of doesn't automatically give the photographer permission to exploit it.

This whole question is crazy I think. I hope it is a joke because it made me laugh, but if it is not a joke, then yes, go to the beach with your camera, but don't be shocked to find a naked fist in your eye.

JD, the answer varies from area to area. In Michigan, there are two types of naturist (few say "nudist") areas: clubs and nude beaches.

The clubs (Turtle Lake, Whispering Oaks, Forest Hills, etc) have many strict policies:

nudity: you must be nude

ratios: you're probably not getting in unless you're female, or bring a female that's willing to go nude. They like to maintain about a 50/50 ratio male to female, women tend to feel rather uncomfortable if they're outnumbered by men 3:1.

cameras: you're not taking candids, period. Trying will result in violence. Generally, if you bring your own model to pose nude, and just want to use the place for a setting, you'll be OK, but ask in advance. Most of the time, you'll need a member (clubs cost several hundred $/year) to vouch for you.

They have security guards, and those will always take a member's complaints more seriously than any rights you believe you have.

Like most of the United States, there are no such things as legal public nude beaches in Michigan. There are public beaches that are "nudity friendly" and local law enforcement looks the other way, as long as no one reports trouble. Otter Creek Beach (Between Saugatuck and Holland) and Mosquito Point (by Monroe) are such places. Lexington doesn't appear to be one, any more.

There are unwritten rules of conduct at such places.

Normally if a textile (clothed person) appears on a nude beach, everyone will get under cover, and one (largish male) nudist will come over to have a chat with you. Got a camera? He's all you're going to see.

Got a camera and your own nude female model with you? Well, expect a crowd of observers and helpers, but few offers to pose. Expect zero tolerance of candids.

Now, if you manage to gain access unobserved, and take candids hiding behind hills and trees, and you're caught, don't even expect to see any of your photographic gear again. If you intend to show anyone a printout of the "photographer's bill of rights" that floats around the Internet, make sure that you fold over the corner, rather than stapling it, because it's going to end up somewhere where you absolutely do not want a sharp ended staple placed.

That is EXTREMELY frowned upon.

>>Which seems odd to me- people will argue that the body is beautiful, shouldn't be ashamed of it, etc., then get upset if you photograph 'em. Go figure<<

It won't seem odd if you think about it for a microsecond. Being nude in that environment is one thing. Realizing that your photo might wind up all over the Web the next day, to be Googled and ogled by sex-starved teenagers, is quite another.

You will be viewed as a voyuer. Don't do it.

Recently completed reading a Diane Arbus bio (by Patricia Bosworth). Arbus frequented nudist camps in New Jersey, she encountered no problems with the campers, am not sure whether this is to be credited to the free spirit of the 60s - how's that spirit in the USA nowadays? Be prepared to cite a reason behind the motivation of your photographic endeavor - and go in the nude, don't hide the cam beneath a towel, if your beach experience turns out to be too frustrating you can visit nudist colonies/resorts and inform the people there of your project BEFORE you begin the project. You'll work things out, do keep us updated about your project, as we may be able to learn from your experiences.

Duchan in

Darmstadt, Germany - hundreds of miles from a beach...

I never went to a nude beach but have driven by the Red, White, & Blue Beach above Santa Cruz many years ago. There was a big sign that said no cameras.

Most of the nude beaches and resorts in the US are on private property so it is the landowner's rules that count. There are some unofficial nude beaches like 2222 West Cliff in Santa Cruz. That one is on public land but the nudists do not like gawking tourists.

Ryan Disney -

That link is absolutely hysterical. I discovered the 2222 beach quite by accident when I looked over a cliff and saw something moving in the water. It was the first (and only) time that I have ever been flipped-off by naked girls splashing in the water.

The website you listed shows the exact same situation.

Most people on nude beaches are nude and if you are clothed you will appear like a nude person on a regular clothed beach i.e. you will stand out - you don't want this if you are taking candid photos. Incidentally, photography is frowned upon at most nude beaches and may even get you kicked out. I'd hire a nude model and just take photos of him/her, you might get a few out of focus bystanders in the background.