We live in the northeast, and usually go west each summer-fall. The drive to

reach the plains and the Mts of the west is at least 3 days, each way, going

and coming. So the little woman and I plan on flying to Salt Lake this year,

and renting a car from there.

The problem is she and I both shoot digital, 35MM and medium format. And we

each have sizeable kits in each format.And of course one can only carry so much

gear onto a flight. I was thinking of packing my P67 and it's 4 lens kit, (with

lots of bubble wrap and P-nuts) and UPS 2nd day shipping to my hotel in SLC. I

will insure it for full value. What do you think? Good idea or bad?? Thanks.

Actually I'd be surprised if you can't get all ofthat gear in an Airport Security Roll on case from

<A HREF = http://www.thinktankphoto.com> ThinkTANK Photo</a>. I've gotten three DSLRS systems (Leica DMR + 4 lenses (includinga massive 70-180mm f/2.8), a Canon 1Ds mk.2 + 2 lenses , and a Nikon D200 + three lenses, a canon 580EX , a Nikon SB-800, two ten card media wallets, chargers for all three systems (why three very different systems? I was reviewing the Nikon and the Leica, and the Canon is mine), a Lee system lens hood and adapter rings, a Sekonic L-558R meter, and 4 Pocketwizard MultiMAX transceivers + sync cords, a card reader, USB and FireWire cables in mine, all at the same time. And was able to put in an overhead bin on o Boeing 737s. This really is the best case for traveling with whether flying or driving that I've ever found in over 25 years of practicing photography. It is also one of the best made & designed. One thing I really like about it is that it is extremely stable whether rolling or just having it parked upright wihile I am waiting for a car or atthe ticket counter. Another thing I like about it is the extra long length ofthe extended handles: no more stooping as I pull it or kicking it with my heels as I pull it behind me. <P>

I have no connections with the company , I am just ultra satisfied with this product.

We like to have non-photographic stuff in our carry-on too, like jackets, shaving kit, change of clothes/underwear in case the checked luggage goes off some other direction (which has happened), reading material, laptop, etc. So we've shifted to smaller photo gear to fit the available space... Bronica RF645... reserving the P67 for road trips.

But we DO like to ship stuff ahead to our destination, and ship even more stuff back home! That much less to lug around. Certainly it could be camera gear being shipped, though we haven't done that. We use mail/shipping outfits like Mailboxes Etc (now the UPS Store), shipping stuff between our local store and their branch at the destination, making it a little simpler. We have a mailbox at the local one so they hold our incoming boxes until we return.

I think shipping ahead well-packed photo gear is a reasonable solution, the trick being the packing well! Maybe a couple of those Halliburton cases or something similar...

I do a lot of flying with my gear and always have to down size the amount of what I take. I can't possibly take all my P67 lenses, so I must consider what I'm shooting and select to match the destination. I usually end up taking 4 lenses and two bodies. My wife and I each have a carry-on bag and each is full of camera equip. Sometimes I take my 35mm SLR Leicaflex with adapter, to allow one set of lenses for both 6x7 and 35mm. I would never ship my gear, as I don't trust the carriers that much. Most of the time I sacrifice and don't try to take all systems (digital, 35mm and 6x7). I take the money maker, the P67, because it brings in the most sales. This was my business perspective on your question. Your needs may vary.