self repair of 5D reflex mirror

mike dixon

A couple of weeks ago, the reflex mirror in my Canon 5D became 'unstuck' from the mechanism that lifts it up

during exposure. Fortunately, the mirror didn't fall out and break. I took my camera to the Canon service

center here in Busan, Korea, to have them repair the problem. Their only option for repair was to replace the

entire mirror box mechanism for approximately US$500.

Given that I would need to pay $500 to replace the entire mechanism anyway, I figured nothing would be lost by

trying to repair the problem myself. So, I bought some cyanoacrylate ("SuperGlue"), put a few small drops on the

mounting points for the mirror, carefully put the mirror back in place, and waited a few hours for it to dry.

The result: the camera is back to functioning as well as it was before the problem. Focusing accuracy doesn't

appear to have suffered. Cost of repair: less than $3, and about ten minutes of effort.

This is an excellent post, Mike!<p>It really made me wonder as to what extend we have been brainwashed, in recent years, with regards to the actual <i>delicacy</i> of our digital equipment.<br> No doubt, all DSLRs are indeed complex mechanisms, in some ways, not unlike a portable computer. However, it appears that they might just be a lot more robust than we have been led to believe.<p>One question... With the dislodging of the mirror, was there any sign of tiny particles that might have dropped down into the sensor area, or rather, did you find a need to do a sensor clean after your self repair?

Well, if the box and the anchor points weren't damaged the glue is NOT the only thing that holds it in place. If

it were, I don't think it wouldn't last long.

The reason a manufacturer charges more than a DIYer is to cover their repair warranties, pay salaries, equipmetn

costs, insurances, etc... If you are in a hospital (in the US) and they bring you a simple little Aspirin you

will be charged at least $20.00 per pill!

I needed to clean the sensor before the mirror problem, though I haven't seen any increase in 'spots' since the

repair. The area behind the mirror isn't sealed anyway (though the shutter covers the sensor), so stuff can

easily get back there even with the mirror in place.<p>

I only made the repair a few days ago, but so far, so good. I bought the camera in December, 2005, and it has

about 60,000 exposures on it. If the repair last even half that long, I'll be doing well. And I still have the

rest of the glue . . .<p>

<i>Well, if the box and the anchor points weren't damaged the glue is NOT the only thing that holds it in place.

If it were, I don't think it wouldn't last long.</i><P>

The box and anchor points aren't held by glue; I suspect they are bolted to the chassis. The mirror is held by

glue onto the mechanism that raises it during exposures. If there was anything else holding the mirror, I saw no

evidence of it.

• 4 weeks later...
At the time, three years ago, when my 5D mirror fell out the first time I removed the body cap, I thought that was a unique fault with only my canon 5D. The mirror capture mechanism was missing the tabs that hold the bottom of the mirror in place. I sent the camera back to canon for no cost repair.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Mike,<br>

Does it still working after this time? Any problems due to this solution?<br>

Yesterday the mirror of my 5D fell off. The canon service told me they fix it for free, but in 15-20 days, and I can't stay so much time without the camera. In fact, I need it tomorrow, so I guess my only option is to try with the glue as a provisional fix...<br>

Thanks<br>

Felipe</p>

<p>Well, it's done! Just few seconds to put a small glue drop on every of the 4 monting points. I've take a look through the viewfinder and everything seems fine.<br>

Tomorrow I have a heavy portrait season, I expect more than 2000 pictures, I hope it holds in place!<br>

Many thanks!</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I just got a camera from Adorama, I bought it used in 9+ condition and guess what, when it arrived the mirror was dislodged!? So I started searching the net and bumped in to this thread, I wonder if I should give it a go as it would take a while for me to send it to the US and to find a way to get it back to Europe... What exact glue did you guys use? The back of the mirror has four points and the glue that is still on the back is a bit rubbery!? What glue could that be? Thank you for any input.</p>

<p>I did use super glue gel. I had an opened tube overthere, and as they said is more resistant to vibration etc, I thought it would be ok. Anyway I think any standard cyanocrylate, as the original post said, should work.<br>

Now is 3 months and more than 20.000 shots from my reparation and the mirror still hold in place. :)</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
<p>thanks Mike :) you saved me $150! I did it myself too even though I was a bit scared... but I did it and worked beautifully. thanks again! my other camera (canon 20d) is out of commission too due to the shutter needing to be replaced so I was really desperate being left with no cameras. Happy New Year and happy holidays.</p>

• 3 weeks later...