self repair of 5D reflex mirror

mike dixon

<p>When i did this it was during a paid food shoot. I didn't bring my 7D for backup. I literally drove to a gas station and bought the first super glue i could find. i applied the glue along what appeared to be little rails on each side of the mirror bracket, where the mirror rests. It seemed like the biggest area of contact. I wasn't able to salvage the little sheet of plasticky stuff that was under the mirror, but it hasn't effected function or performance. <br>

Less is always more with super glue. I applied a tiny bit with a tooth pick and replaced the mirror. Give it 15 minutes to dry, (which is overkill), to prevent any excess glue from flying around inside the camera body. It has been holding up ever since. <br>

-Keith</p>

<p>Ken, <br>

Glad you had a pleasant time with Canon. I only went to them once and they told me my 5D needed "basically the whole inside" replaced because it was old.<br>

The clerk at the desk shoved his finger inside the mirror box...<br>

Then they somehow managed to get my camera to freeze up. I had to remove the battery and put it back in to get it to work.<br>

The reason the clerk supposedly knew i needed to have "basically the whole inside" replaced was because the shutter release button had a "soft feel". If he knew anything about my camera he would know that the 5D doesn't have a true tactile response like the rebel series does.<br>

He then took it back to a tech who couldn't figure out that you could remove the battery to make the camera work again.<br>

When i asked if they would just fix the scratched Uv glass over the filter (which they quoted $80 for over the phone) they told me it was going to be $500, AND they refused to fix it unless i agreed to have all of the other quoted work done as well. The total cost was going to be $1200, which is $100 more than i paid for the body. <br>

He then tried to sell me a platinum canon membership which i promptly told him to shove up his ***<br>

I sent my camera in to <a href="http://www.procamerarepair.com/">http://www.procamerarepair.com/</a> and they fixed the glass. they also remounted my mirror because they could tell i super glued it. On top of that the camera came back so clean i almost didn't believe it was mine. They don't charge you until the job is done and they are holding a working camera. When they called to let me know it was a success, i asked them to hook it up and see how many actuations were on the body. Im holding my breath waiting to hear "90,000". It turns out the body had around ~4,000. I even heard the tech in the background make a comment on how new the camera internals looked. He told me the camera was "basically new".<br>

Long story short i will never go to Canon for anything again. When "new body" time comes again i will highly consider just selling it all and switching to Nikon, or making the jump to medium format. <br>

-K</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Wow Keith, sounds like they ruined your day, for sure. I just got mine back this week and all is well. They had a long list of stuff they put in there, plus even emailed me a shipping label so I didn't have to pay shipping. The thing came back super clean and ready to go and it cost me $2 worth of bubble wrap to send it in (the kids pop every piece I get).</p>