Seeking 620 film spools

rajmohan.

<p>Old 620 film isn't that hard to find on auction sites. Some might even work.</p>

<p>Also, old cameras on Goodwill auctions. I mostly don't bid on 620 cameras, but there are many out there, and they go for low enough prices. Some Goodwill stores have both eBay and shop goodwill.com auctions, and offer local pick-up to save on shipping. Many old cameras go in the $10 range, though they might not work. </p>

<p>VP is usually good enough to use to 30 or 40 years old. </p>

-- glen

<p>to get you started<br>

try a 120 spool in the supply side<br>

i do not like the scheme of trimming edges of a plastic 120 spool.<br>

this often means loading in darkness.</p>

<p>if by lucky chance a 120 spool will fit in the take-up side<br>

you can fold a thin piece of metal or the very thick aluminum foil at the tops of some coffee cans<br>

or a snip from a soda can.</p>

<p>i think possibly " film for classics" is out of business.</p>

<p>anyway good luck.<br>

a source for reasonally priced film is<br>

photo warehouse<br>

or the web nane<br>

ultrafineonline.<br>

sorry only 120<br>

but possibly you can make use of some.</p>

<p>i have a reated issue with my argus a2 *1936(<br>

there is no suitable b&w film made.<br>

if i use 100 speed film, i can develop it in rodinal<br>

diluted as a iso 50 film</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Walter</strong> - <strong>Donald</strong> very kindly offered to send me a couple of 620 spools; I'm going to respool from 120 onto one 620 spool and then back onto another 620 spool to try and make sure that there are no kinks etc due to the uneven thickness of the center spindle between 120 and 620. Fingers crossed I can do this without any major issues - I'll report back once I've had the roll developed, hopefully with good news :)<br>

<strong>Glen</strong> - based on your earlier tip, I had placed a bid on it, but as usual, I was beaten out of it in the final 3 seconds! :(</p>

Raj, I 'm not sure if this is the right answer; but if you want 620 spool due to hisorical correctness respooling is the way to go, but

personally, I find this tiresome and very slow, you might also miss the film under the paper in the dark.

Here is a vid in YT that gives advice:

In case you just want to use a camera that takes 620 spools here is a much easier way by trimming a 120 spool. I found this works fine.

Sometimes the numbers in the transport window will not be shown correctly or just a bit of it might show up. Either way, good luck!

<p>Thank you for the information and the links, Gunnar. <br>

I agree, respooling is a little painful, but apparently once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad - I'll try it out and decide! <br>

I've read stuff about trimming the 120 spools, but because the center spindle is thicker in 120 than in 620, I've read that the frame spacing and number alignment in the red window can be a little off. If the 620 respooling proves to be a disaster, I may need to revisit this approach. </p>

<p>I have done quite a bit of respooling and once you get used to handling it in the dark it is quite easy. The one thing that you have to keep in mind that when you go from a thicker to thinner or visa versa there will be a slight differential in lining up the paper and film. Keep a small piece of tape available (and easily findable in the dark) so that at the end you can lift the film from the paper and take out the slack and retape the film to the paper.</p>

<p>The 20 rolls of VP620 were at $66 for the last few hours. Plus $11 shipping for about $3.50 a roll.</p>

<p>New film costs a little more than that, but then likely gives better results. And someone had to store it all those years.</p>

<p>But most often, 40 year old VP works pretty well. Keep trying, they come up pretty often, though the 20 rolls is a little rare. But two or three rolls, often enough. Bid low until you get some.</p>

-- glen