negatives - Tri-X and Ektachrome 320T.

I'm wondering if the plastic canisters are the problem (with removable

top) or the light trap from the bulk loader. Did anyone try putting a

piece of tape (black masking tape) in the light trap, where the film

commes out?

I'm using a Telessar loader.

Thanks for all the responses.

Radu D.

I've been using bulk loaders for a long time and rarely encounter scratches on my film. Every time, the scratches are attributable to fine particles of grit or dirt stuck to the felt lips on either the loader or the cassette. These can be effectively cleaned with a piece of low tack masking tape nuch the same way you would remove lint from a garment. Be sure to get the low tack variety of masking tape though. Check with the man in the hardware store if you're unsure. The high tack variety will be more likely to damage the felt and ruin the light trap.

The Watson (sometimes named "Western") loader is the best--and paradoxically the cheapest.

The best cartridges are the Ilford/Agfa type. Both ends are removable, so you can spread the lips completely apart and brush them thoroughly. But the ends are held by heavy rolled crimps, so they fit tightly and will never accidently pop off.

The only place I've seen them available is www.freestylephoto.biz I first began buying Ilford film in bulk from Freestyle back in the early 70s, when most everyone else was bowing to the Great Yellow Father.

Calumet sells a Kalt brand where both ends remove. I ordered a box of their house brand and got Kalts. I think they come 100 to a box for $60 or so. Smaller quantities available. B&H also sells them, but I have trouble finding them on their website as I don`t know what to call them so it matches their computer description. Look under loading supplies.

Don`t buy the dirty ones that been around the stores in open boxes.

Store in a bag between uses so they stay clean.

The best loaders are made by Queen City Plastics (Springfield, MO) under the names of Watson, Western, Alden, etc. Some of the cheapies, and I cant remembers their names, scratch easily.

What ever system you use, clean the light trap often. If you are careful you can lightly touch the light trap with tape to pick up any grit.

Lynn