Scanmate 2C49 worth saving?

I recently picked up this 2C49 drum scanner out of a warehouse that was ready for the landfill, it does power on and have software to run it.

36839216645_2306f0d363_z.jpg

Here are the specs I have found..

2000dpi

3.0 D Max

12bit per channel via single PMT

No auto focus

I had a few who in their opinion thought it was junk, is this scanner capable of anything better than a modern flatbed?

I would be using it to scan my 6x6 and 6x7 negatives.

Edited by Ben Kleschinsky

If you have a computer you can hook it up to (I suspect it's SCSI), and software, it will produce a much better scan!

I had a ScanMate 3000, a newer version. I think the software used on the Mac was called Color Quartet.

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

If you have a computer you can hook it up to (I suspect it's SCSI), and software, it will produce a much better scan!

I had a ScanMate 3000, a newer version. I think the software used on the Mac was called Color Quartet.

Yep!

36669499922_340ed9da9f.jpg

I had a few recommending I not bother due to it having only one PMT and no autofocus unlike the 3000, that modern Epson flatbeds should produce better results.

I still want to give it a go and see what I get, I have a mounting station now I just need the mylar.

It's SCIS so one cable goes to the Mac, the other terminated OR run to another SCSI device in a chain. DO NOT hook up while anything is powered!

IF you can get this scanner to run, it will blow the doors off any modern and most any flatbed scanner out there (yeah, even a high end flatbed ala Scitex). You need the excellent original software and you'll want to gel mount the film.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

It's SCIS so one cable goes to the Mac, the other terminated OR run to another SCSI device in a chain. DO NOT hook up while anything is powered!

IF you can get this scanner to run, it will blow the doors off any modern and most any flatbed scanner out there (yeah, even a high end flatbed ala Scitex). You need the excellent original software and you'll want to gel mount the film.

If that is the case, exciting news! :D

Do the bulbs in these usually need replacing being so old?

From what I can tell it will either run on Windows XP or OS9, I will try my hand on a parallel to USB adapter if they are anything reliable.

This has been mentioned, but that connection is not parallel - it's SCSI. SCSI used a LOT of different connections, including that Centronics 50-pin. If you have a desktop PC, a PCIE SCSI card is your best bet. LSI Logic and Adaptec are good brands. Adaptec used to sell a USB-SCSI adapter, but I haven't seen one in years.

• Like 1

This has been mentioned, but that connection is not parallel - it's SCSI. SCSI used a LOT of different connections, including that Centronics 50-pin. If you have a desktop PC, a PCIE SCSI card is your best bet. LSI Logic and Adaptec are good brands. Adaptec used to sell a USB-SCSI adapter, but I haven't seen one in years.

Thank you for the clarification, most desktop towers do not have SCSI ports in the back?

I had assumed parallel looked the same so were the same, I will look out for a good adapter.

A lot of them state, 'SCSI device must supply termination power for adapter to work'.

Ratoc made a SCSI to Firewire adapter, very nice but now insanely expensive due to it's rarity.

I know Belkin made one at one point too, worst case scenario I could try my hand on a USB adapter.

Most USB to SCSI adapters won't work with scanners. Dunno exactly why, but when SCSI ports started to disappear lots of folks seemed to try SCSI to USB adapters with little or no luck. Your best bet are the LSI Logic or Adaptec SCSI boards, if they will fit your computer.

Funny I have a Macintosh 512K, not that one yet!

I appreciate the warnings, a computer that old would be able to run say Color Trio?

Ben, I've been in IT for many years, and have a lot of experience with SCSI. If you can tell me what sort of computer you have, I will try to recommend a connectivity solution.

Ben, I've been in IT for many years, and have a lot of experience with SCSI. If you can tell me what sort of computer you have, I will try to recommend a connectivity solution.

I have a 2016 iMac and a 2011 MacBook Pro, not very useful in my case.

I may end up having to find an older PC desktop with a SCSI, but not too old so I can run the programs necessary to control the scanner.

Seeing I have run into another predicament, the absence of a copyright dongle.

I would most likely want to run an old copy of Color Trio, although I heard it is only good up to 8 bits and this being a 12 bit scanner...

I do have a 30 day free trial with Color Quartet, but first I need to determine if a rare FireWire adapter would even work as some have noted on reviews I read on amazon for their Nikon CoolScan's.

If not, I most definitely need to find an old computer with a SCSI port.