Rollei 35 - White areas of photos

Dear All,

I am a real fan of the Rollei 35 since I found one on a flea market locally. I was so impressed with the build and picture quality that I bought a 35B for one of my daughters and a 35TE for my other daughter.

My question is as follows. The films we have had developed from both cameras, both shot at separate locations and times have a very slight white mark in the photo almost like a brush stroke on the edge of the left longest edge of the picture. Initially I thought this must be a mark on the lens of the 35B. However now we see a similar mark on the 35TE. It's not visible in all photos. Of the ones where it is visible in I would say most were shot on a sunny day but not super bright and not shot into the sun. Is this just normal flare ? Any ideas ?

pKkNY9F

Edited by jimnorwood

I don't have any personal experience with these cameras.

I'm kind of tempted to say it's a light leak but if it is one, its impact is concentrated in a much smaller area than what I've seen before.

Yes it does seem odd that it's such a small area and a similar area on both cameras (purchased from different owners).

To check for light leaks, you can use a little LED squeeze light inside the film compartment with the back closed and take into a dark room. Also, try removing the back and check with a penlight around the base of the lens while you pull it out. Edited by m42dave

I used to have a Rollei 35 and never had any issues with leaks, though I have seen light leaks in one or two Minox-type folders around where the lens retracts. If it's in the same position but not in every photo, then it might be happening only when you retract the lens in direct, strong sunlight. But if it's nearly identical and in the same place with two different cameras, then it could be a processing issue. The penlight test would help rule out my light leak theory. Edited by m42dave

Are the sample images above from the prints or from the scans of the negatives? In other words, is there a corresponding black mark on the negatives? If not, it could be a printer issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The marks are on the prints and the scans. I just checked the negatives and the marks are also visible. I guessed so because one set of photos was developed in the UK and the other in Germany.

I used to have a Rollei 35 and never had any issues with leaks, though I have seen light leaks in one or two Minox-type folders around where the lens retracts. If it's in the same position but not in every photo, then it might be happening only when you retract the lens in direct, strong sunlight. But if it's nearly identical and in the same place with two different cameras, then it could be a processing issue. The penlight test would help rule out my light leak theory.

Thanks. I've hunted for an penlight small enough to fit in a Rollei 35 but may need to buy one. It's nearly identical and in a similar place with both cameras bit the labs were different. I was wondering if these are simply very sensitive to flare and need a rubber lens hood ?

These Tessars don't have the more effective HFT multicoating of the Sonnars, so using a lens hood is a good idea. What you're showing looks more like a small light leak to me rather than flare, but I could be wrong. Edited by m42dave

I did a quick search and came across a discussion mentioning a leak on a Rollei 35 with a loose lens barrel (no sample photos, though), so that is a possibility.

If it's not the labs and not the cameras, could it be due to defective film cartridges? Were they the same type of film?

Edited by m42dave

It is extraordinarily unlikely you'd experience the exact same issue in the exact same spot on two different (if similar) cameras. For that matter, I'd never even heard of a Rollei 35 light leak until this thread: their sealed-metal-capsule design sidesteps most potential leak developments.

The only cause I can think of (and its a long shot): both of your models are "non-standard" vs the traditional Rollei 35 and Rollei 35S. The more common versions with tiny CdS meter eye and internal battery chamber have virtually zero external entry points for a leak. The 35B and 35TE, OTOH, both have retrofitted metering dials or battery chambers grafted on the top panel. The 35B came first, it is possible Rollei used the same attachment points for the 35TE. Over the years, both may have developed a sealing issue in the top panel area that could leak the same way.

You might try shooting a test roll in similar lighting conditions with a piece of residue-free gaffers tape or painters tape covering the top cover plastics. Shoot half the roll covered, then remove the tape and take the same pics a second time. If the processed film shows the issue only in the uncovered pics, you'll know the leak is coming from the top plastics somewhere. If theres no difference, and all the pics show the issue, it could be really hard to pin down. Might be an inherent flare issue with the Tessar lens, or a barrel issue.

m42dave's suggestion of loading a tiny LED light in the camera could work. But you'd need to be VERY careful: there is almost no room inside a Rollei 35 body cavity. Make sure the lens barrel remains locked in the extended position, and that the LED light is small enough that it doesn't press against or scratch the rear element or folding pressure plate. What you want to look for isn't a penlight but a very tiny self-contained LED running off an aspirin-sized battery (like cameras use). These are sold as party favors, usually referred to as "finger lites" because they have an elastic loop for wearing them as rings, and they're barely larger than a fingertip (40mm x 12mm x 12mm). One of these should just about fit in the cavity between the extended lens and pressure plate. Party supply stores sometimes have even smaller versions the size of a coin (to randomly throw around a table), that would be even better.

fingerlites.jpg.88dfae051a36506fd8aacf5b7b2107eb.jpg

Edited by orsetto
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
For two cameras, of similar but not identical model, in the hands of the same owner to develop exactly the same light leak problem at exactly the same spot is probably the weirdest photog tale I ever heard. This said, I have looked very carefully at my B and 35SE and it would seems to me that the only possible source for the light leak would be the lower/right corner of the wiewfinder's frame. Perhaps the frame has come slightly detached from the camera's body? Perhaps the pressure plate does not provide a light tight closure?

It is not visible in all frames, it is synchronized with the frames, and it comes from the emulsion side. Two different cameras, two different labs. To me, this means low probability of in-camera leak, or lab problem.

Was the film from the same batch in both cases (i.e. two rolls bought together)? Which film? Can you find any leak outside the frame area?