Rite Aid film developing question

<p>I've seen a couple references lately to having C41 film processed at Rite Aid where it gets sent out to a Fuji lab, which got me interested (since good inexpensive processing is hard to find). I went into a Rite Aid in MA, and indeed they had envelopes for processing, and a machine for prints but no in-house film processor, but the prices only referred to prints and the staff were easily confused, and of course there's no good info on the net. So, a couple questions for anybody who has used the service:</p>

<p>-Say I don't want prints, just a CD. Can I write instructions on the envelope like "NO PRINTS; CD ONLY; DO NOT CUT NEGATIVES" and get the expected result? How much will I pay and how good are the scans? And if I use Kodak film will they mess up the scanning?</p>

<p>-Can I give them films other than C41 35mm? Like E6, or K14, or 120 or 220 C41 or E6? Is this like Wal-Mart where if you give them something they don't do they'll forward it to Dwayne's?</p>

<p>Yes, you can do exactly that? Now I can't help you with K14 but all the rest works.<br>

Please try Walmart first as they are MUCH more less expensive, they have the envlopes and you drop in a box. About 5 days later you have them execpt for E6 and 120 which take about 10 days. They call you when they are in and they read the instructions completely. (Fuji Lab)<br>

I've even asked them to return the 120 spool and every time they do.<br>

Without prints, for a roll of 120 I generally pay $1.90</p>

<p>I don't know about Rite Aid, but here's my experience:</p>

<p>I sent film (E-6) to Fuji through Sam's Club. I specifically wrote on the envelope: "No prints, processing only, do not cut negatives". The film came back mounted on slides. I was furious, as I had planned to feed the negative strip into my film scanner at home. I called Fuji, only to be told that when they receive bulk envelope orders from a retailer, they have a policy to ignore any special instructions and throw away the envelopes. They say they can't be bothered to sort out each individual's preferences when they are working for so little money on a "bulk" order. I was reassured that if I had sent in my film directly, NOT through Sam's Club, that the technicians would have had to follow my instructions.</p>

<p>It seems pretty crooked to me, but that's the story I got. Also, I wouldn't expect any service outside of a true professional lab, analyzing each frame individually, to produce good scans without messing them up. I have had abysmal scan results from Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's, and Walgreens. I won't let them scan my film anymore. I scan myself, at home. If I need a particular frame reproduced at high resolution, I go to the closest local pro lab.</p>

<p>Walgreens is my most reliable for being able to process C-41 film only. They will process 24 frames for about $2.25 and 36 frames for about $3.25. They are always confused when I make the request, but they are willing to roll up the negatives without cutting them, too. I still can't get them to make a good scan, though.</p>

<p>this goes back a long time....but when I was working for Eckerd....which in my area sent out to fuji,<br>

1)if you were lucky and asked for slides uncut/unmounted they would be however negs were always cut.<br>

2) you can't get a CD only, a cd MUST be ordered with prints<br>

3)once your negs are cut, they won't make a cd.</p>

<p>the scans will be frontier scans at either 1200x1800 pixels or 1000x1500 pixels depending on how their machine's PIC is set up. Either way, scan quality will be awful.</p>

<blockquote>goes to show that frontier scan's aren't bad if people know what they're doing/take the time to change away from the default settings.<br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>By the way, if you've not heard of Richards Photo Lab in Hollywood they are indeed the very best photo lab in the U.S., if not the world.<br /> The scanning is off the hook crazy good and I think they still use the SP-2500<br /> Tom</blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Bob, your very correct sir! The frontier's are perhaps the very best if in the hands of the right tech. At Richards, they really do care. I have my own Processors now so do everything in house but before that it was Richards and worth it.<br>

I hope to get that sp2500 myself one day.</p>

I was told by a Rite Aid (now CVS) photo dept. employee who I have a long term processing relationship with, that to send your images into Fuji Processing is to submit them to entirely mechanized processing and that individual images or film strips are not looked at and no adjustments or special processing can be expected. It is also more time consuming and expensive than having processing done locally.

<p><em>They say they can't be bothered to sort out each individual's preferences when they are working for so little money on a "bulk" order.... ...It seems pretty crooked to me" </em><br>

<em></em><br>

It makes complete sense nevertheless.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>the staff were easily confused</em><br>

<em></em><em></em><br>

Is it wise to entrust these same people to handle your customized service requests or to figure out what to do with media that is unfamiliar to them? Even IF the drugstore is equipped to do all these things?</p>

<p>I had a similar incident as Hal B only with Walmart. I specified process only, no prints, do not cut. What I got back were some well made prints that cost me in the neighborhood of $20 (Olympus Pen half frame camera with a 36 exp. roll in it). A note attached saying "service not offered". That did it for me, I'll just use the pro lab up the street now. Even at $4.99 to develop one roll it's a bargain in comparison.</p>

<p>Costco's in house (they don't send out anymore) has done pretty good as well, but they are such a pain to get in and out of.</p>

<p>Btw, there is an option and I did just this.<br>

I purchased my own Jobo processor. They can be had for as little as a couple hundred $$ sans chem costs and you keep complete control, don't need a darkroom and have it "back" in an hour. :)<br>

Ever since I got my 2300 I've been in heaven. Not a pro lab anywhere can come close to my own process and I know it's a bit of upfront money, but it really is a payback in so many ways and soon too.</p>

<p>Tom, this was using Wallyworlds send out service. You could say it's less Wallyworlds fault and more Fuji of Oregon's, but the result was the same. I don't use the send out service that goes to Fuji of Oregon which puts any other place I've inquired out of the running as well.</p>

<p>As for the Jobo processor, is that black and white or color? If color then how do you dispose of the chemicals? Is it safe for the regular drain?</p>

<p>Well, I'm surprised and sorry to hear this. Yup, Wally's has nothing to do with that. I don't think on the east coast they go to Seattle but I'm not positive.<br>

As far as the Jobo, it can be used for both c41, e6 and B/W. The only thing you have to take into consideration is with the lowest end model is the motor base. What I mean is that the low end, very low end but still excellent, it's just a tub for a temp bath. You'd buy a seperate motor base. But that's not really a processor. For a couple of hundred you can have a bath tube with grads keeping your chems at proper temp plus the motor base with and without a computerized timer.<br>

I have pretty much a very high end processor that is completely automatic along with the jobo water mixing so all I do is put the film on the reels and press a process (avail 12 in memory in mine) and come back later. This can also be done with others again for a very small sum. Free free to write me for more info at TOM at THEPHOTOFATHER dot COM<br>

The systems have a reclaim device that reclaims the used chems in 500 or 1000 Ltr bottles I collect into larger bottles and then bring to my town for disposal. I am also able to then reuse the Stop etc for next time.<br>

Best....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think on the east coast they go to Seattle but I'm not positive.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, that'd be surprising if it did. I was actually surprised that my film had to go to Oregon and that there's not a Fuji lab in the Seattle area. To find out where your film goes just call the 800 number on the envelope and they'll usually answer stating who they are, "You've reached Fuji of Oregon....".</p>

<p>The other experience with Wally's send out was with Kodachrome. The slides are fine, but I asked for a scan to CD and they "dont offer that service". I only have one roll of that stuff left and I'll gladly pay shipping and Dwaynes full price for developing and scan to Cd for that one.</p>

<p>I just went through a very frustrating experience with my first use of Rite Aid processing. The girl ran the negative strip into the scanner with the emulsion facing the wrong way. A second trip back and I was promised it would be corrected...wrong again. On the third try I stood there and watched her begin to feed the strip in and tried to explain that it needed to be reversed. Finally out of frustration, she told me to come back with her and show her what I meant. Finally it came out right.</p>

<p>What really bothered me isn't that she made a mistake, but that she insisted the print was done correctly and either I had a problem with the Canon I've been using for the past 40 years or the guy in the Reddi-Wip can costume screwed up the printing on it. I wonder how many customers before me just accepted her explanation and left in frustration.</p><div>00UwVj-187719584.thumb.jpg.0c6ecd1f30af3a71360b836c0f581c59.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Andrew. I take any 35mm film I need developed to my local Rite Aid (in Peachtree City GA). They have their own in-house processing machine, and the guy that (usually) operates it does a pretty good job, and he himself is a photographer. But I dont use the local in-house machine. They also have the 'customer friendly' terminals where you can walk up, plug in your picture card or CD and print the pictures yourself. But I dont use that option either because the operator told me that the printers are not loaded with real photo print paper and the pictures would therefore fade out after couple years.</p>

<p>BUT, I do use Rite Aid because they are a local drop-off point for 35mm film to be out-sourced to a regional FUJI LAB (my understanding is there is a FUJI LAB somewhere in Tennessee and somewhere in South Gergia). A driver comes to Rite Aid a couple times a week and picks up the (completed) Fuij Lab envelopes (film case enclosed). He takes them to the lab, they process it, and he brings back the prints (in same envelope) the next trip. So I have to wait a few days to get the prints back. No big deal for me, I'm not in a rush.</p>

<p>You indicate on the film envelope what you want... color prints.... extra copies.... picture CD... whatever. You put the film in the envelope, and you fill out the form that's printed on the front of the envelope. It's that easy.</p>

<p>I can only speak for myself, but I have been very pleased by the quality of color prints I have recieved using this approach. Very nice 4x6 Glossy prints, very nice colors, very nice sharpness and clarity and detail. (I only use Fuji color negative film , ISO 200 and 800, so maybe that helps?) My experience is the Fuji Lab does a fine job, but then again, I have never asked for anything 'special'.</p>

<p>About prices, when you go to Rite Aid, stop at the front and pick up the latest 'specials' paper, that highlights all the special priced items that week. Sometimes (not every time) they will run a special on film processing, including the Fuji Lab processing. When I see that, I just tear out that ad, and include it in the Fuji Lab envelope, to make sure I get the special price. </p>

<p>This service has provided me with good color prints and picture CD's. I tried using a local "pro photographer" shop for similar prints, but his matte finish prints were simply inferior to what I usually get from the Fuji Lab. Go figure. </p>

<p>What you might want to do is try this service out from the Rite Aid in your area, and enclose a nice letter (for the Fuji Lab manager), asking if they provide these other types of processing. Include your email address for his response. Perhaps they could accomodate your needs.</p>

<p>If you decide to let the local Rite Aid employees do your film development, then you are really dependant on whether or not they know what they are doing, and how well they have maintained their own machines and the chemicals.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Uncut negs for scanning at home are generally around $2 at just about any 1hr lab. Couple this with a V500 and alot of patience and you will be able to do scans as good as the extra $2 a roll would have gotten you. I stopped having my negs scanned locally because dust in their machines was scratching all of my negatives. Poor quality scans I can live with, ruined negs I can't.</p>

<p>correct....even the film prints at rite aid one hours at least in my area are on a dye sub printer....we started getting these in durring my last days at eckerd after the buyout was finalized. Unlike some of the better dyesubs, kodak comes to mind, there is no clear laminate layer......I witnessed many of my own prints begin to delaminate after only a few weeks.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hi Andrew. I take any 35mm film I need developed to my local Rite Aid (in Peachtree City GA). They have their own in-house processing machine, and the guy that (usually) operates it does a pretty good job, and he himself is a photographer. But I dont use the local in-house machine. They also have the 'customer friendly' terminals where you can walk up, plug in your picture card or CD and print the pictures yourself. But I dont use that option either because the operator told me that the printers are not loaded with real photo print paper and the pictures would therefore fade out after couple years.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow, thanks for all the info everybody. I get the impression that this service is hit-or-miss... maybe I need to stop looking for new places to take my film and just use my friendly neighborhood photo shop where they do special instructions and don't scratch negatives. The Jobo machine sounds great but I think that's too much for my needs.</p>