RIP: Lou Reed

<p>I wondered what Lou had been up to with photography. I recall several years ago seeing a photo of him with a Contax G or G2. I'm guessing that interview misquoted him on the Leica "medium format" camera, unless he considered the 24x36 sensor the new medium format. I suppose an argument could be made for that.</p>

<p>C 1970 I saw Velvet Underground play Max's KC (in NYC). The final set, Lou played wearing only an athletic supporter. I was later told that heroin can make one sweat. That same night I actually stood shoulder to shoulder with Andy W at one of the club's urinals. ahhh the 70's in NYC. (was that my 15 minutes?)</p>

<p>Lou will be missed. He is one of the great under-rated guitarists of his generation. His raw emotion and energy came out of the speakers like banshees.</p>

<p>Last Saturday night, by sheer coincidence, I came upon my copy of the box set of the Velvet Underground's four studio LP's, <em>Peel Slowly and See</em> (which was named after the Warhol cover of their first album), and decided that it was about time I ripped it. Also that night I downloaded the just-released 192kHz/24bit 45th Anniversary Edition of the first album, <em>The Velvet Underground and Nico</em>. It came as a complete shock the next morning when I learned of Lou's demise .</p>

<p>Tonight, I played <em>New York </em>and almost cried, consoling myself with the memory of seeing and hearing him live in 1990 during the <em>Magic and Loss</em> tour.</p>

<p>What <em>magic</em>, and what <em>loss</em>...</p>