Restrepo -- The Film

cyanatic

<p> <a href="http://restrepothemovie.com/%20">Restrepo -- The Movie</a></p>

<p>I didn't find any mention of this movie on a search of PN. Nothing new (2010 Best Documentary Film at Sundance), but I had never seen it before. The photography tie-in is that it was made by the late photojournalist Tim Hetherington in conjunction with writer Sebastian Junger. (Some of the footage appears to have been taken with a DSLR. I haven't read up yet on what equipment they used to film the movie.) Intense, moving, real. Editing to decide what to show, how to show it, and whether to show it at all is a choice that impacts point of view and audience experience. But I feel this film comes as close as you can get to not editorializing, not sending a message, and to just letting the viewer be immersed in the experience of what this platoon went through in outpost in Afghanistan's Karengal Valley. </p>

<p>I'm also wondering if anyone here saw it and what they thought of it.<br>

</p>

<p>Good movie--very powerful. Hetherington actually captured the vehicle he was in being hit by an IED. There is also a very power collection of work (still photos) by Hetherington of sleeping soldiers. You can find some of them here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/04/12/tim-hetherington-s-sleeping-soldiers-photos.html<br>

Finally, b/c Hetherington's death was avoidable (he bled to death b/c the other photojournalists he was with didn't have any trauma medicine expertise), Junger and others have started a program called RISC that focuses on trauma medicine for photojournalists. You can find more information on it here: http://warretreat.org/2012/09/08/medical-training-for-journalists-a-note-from-sebastian-junger/</p>

<p>I'd heard about Hetherignton but only vaguely recalled something about a movie. Surprised I hadn't heard more about it already - my social media feed includes several international and itinerant journalism organizations. Now it's going on my to-watch list. Thanks for the heads up.</p>

<p>Steve, I watched it and came away with the same reaction as watching every other war documentary.</p>

<p>The difference is that this was a war diary captured on video about a few boys turning into men through their fervent hatred toward the enemy who took away their comrades. The senselessness of it all, the brass with silver hair flying in to give pep talks, their fear, their addiction to the high of getting shot at, all giving them a sense of purpose lasting a few short months that will change them forever. </p>

<p>The military withdrew from the Korengal valley in 2010; all the blood spilled over the high command's desire to become the momentary master of a small patch of earth was for nothing. </p>

<p>That's war, and it's certain to repeat itself in another time, a different place, to a new group of young men whose lives will also be forever changed. </p>

<p>Restrepo the film only came out in 2010. As for Junger, he's really more of a writer--most of the filming and the still work associated with "Restrepo" came from Hetherington. So it's not really accurate to say that Junger "quit war shooting" b/c it's not something he's ever really been noted for...being a conflict photographer. His most recent project is a 2013 documentary called "Which way is the front line from here?" which is primarily about Tim Hetherington's conflict work (also a highly regarded documentary, especially if one is a photographer or photojournalist).</p>