resolution/size for printing 8x10, 11x14.

i have a color digital photo that i plan on saving to disk and taking to

professional lab for printing. the image is 300ppi. My question is, what

image size is needed (width/height) in order to print high-quality at 8x10 or

11x14? the photo is being sold and must be of highest quality.

It was taken with "JPEG large" quality with a nikon D200, which is about

3000x2000, or something like that. will this do???

It will do, but I'd rather work from a RAW image myself. If the printer is 300 DPI, then you should be able to adjust the size by downsampling it in PS or some other program to 8x10", etc. It should print fine, but the color from a JPEG is kind of dicey. While the lab will likely take the file, I think you're better to control the dimensions yourself rather than letting the computer program they have do it.

You may have already noticed that when you try to re-size this image from the out of camera size to an 8x10 or 11x14 the dimensions just don't work out and you will have to crop some of the image to make it fit the different aspect ratio. So the first thing you need to do is crop the image to an aspect ratio that matches that of an 8x10. Your camera uses an aspect ration suited for a 4x6 print, which is a 4:3 aspect ratio, an 8x10 or 11x14 has a 3:2 ratio. So first and foremost you will have to crop part of your image to change the aspect ratio.

Once you have that done using the full size jpeg (should always use RAW by the way) you will have to re-size the image. When you do make sure that you do not have re-sampling enabled as that will take away detail (resolution) from your image. You may find that this gives you an image with a resolution of well over 300ppi.

Good luck with your project