replacement ball head for Amvona tripod

I borrowed a tripod to do some volunteer work. An elderly woman hit the tripod with with her walker and the stem on the ball broke. I am looking for any leads on reaching the manufacturer or a repair place that I could talk to.

There is a name -- Amvona, but I see no model or serial number.

I am able to disassemble the part above the ball, but there is a long tube that slides down into the tripod itself. The tube has a flat circle that the stem on the ball goes into. It appears that there are two layers to that flat piece. I removed 3 set screws but it does not easily come apart.

Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think that Amvona has/had a relationship with Dynatran. (I believe they are the same sausage different label). That might assist in your search. But I haven’t seen either brand appearing on major reseller’s lists for quite a while.

You might find that the easiest solution is to buy a new Ball Head, that is IF the Tripod has one central screw and a base plate at the top of the centre stem, this is to screw on (various) Heads.

Some less expensive Tripods are made with a Ball Head Assembly being ‘part of’ the Tripod’s assembly and not a separate item to it.

As mentioned a picture or two would assist.

WW

• Like 1

From the OP's description, it sounds like the ball head could be the Dynatran AT-6703 pistol grip/joystick model. It has the base disc(s) described. If the ball head is the Dynatran AT-6703, then it appears the base disc has a 3/8" threaded socket which screws onto the standard 3/8" mounting screw on top of the tripod. If so, then you should be able to detach the two-part disc by simply unscrewing it from on top of the tripod, as for virtually any normal ball head. It's interesting to note that the AT-6703 is something of an upside-down configuration, where the ball attaches to the tripod, and the body and clamps form the base to which the camera mounts. I suggest you do some online research and verify using images which ball head this is, and then purchase a replacement. Various threads note that Amvona went out of business a long time ago, and there are few locations with replacement parts. One guy says he has parts, but he has no idea how to match them to any particular model. Depending on the value of your time, the purchase of an equivalent replacement by another manufacturer is probably the best option. If the head is the AT-6703, then it looks like a reasonable replacement might be this Schonfeld model, among various: SCHONFELD SCH-GABH02 Grip Action Ball Head

If it is a different model, then that's another issue. Again, I endorse WW's suggestion to buy a replacement instead of chasing around for parts to a discontinued, off-brand product.

An update: It appears Amvona also may have manufactured a model in which the ball head was integral to the tripod's center column. This is based on some photographs only. If this is the OP's item, then it may not be feasible to separate and replace only the ball head. A couple of pictures would sure be worth ten thousand words (as much as I like words...).

Edited by DavidTriplett
  • Like 1