Red streaks in images...why?

<p>Hello!<br>

I'm new at shooting film and I've come across some red streaks on many of my images and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand why this could be happening? I've seen it on high end film as well as cheapo cvs film. Does it have to do with my lenses? Something in the camera body? a setting?<br>

I've taken some pretty cool shots that I like but that red streak messes it up. I'll post an example in a bit, but if anyone can shed any light on this issue I would really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Canon AE-1 (not program)<br />24mm 2.8 lens<br />50 1.4 lens<br />Ektar 100, Fuji Slide Film and CVS film (films i've seen them appear in)<br>

I also tried out a co-workers Nikon N80 and I saw this happen ONCE when I used the flash...all the other images turned out great.<br>

Thanks in advance!</p><div>00ZKXe-398407684.thumb.jpg.ebebd188173a62e67ffe0237255b248c.jpg</div>

<p>The light seals are the black foam strips in the grooves at the top and bottom, and alongside the hinge, they perish and go sticky over time. It looks as if your problem is the hinge seal, which is not too difficult to replace, but all the seals including the mirror bumper should be done to avoid the material getting on to the focusing screen. A photo.net member posted a full set of instructions for this here: http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00SVtt<br>

Alternatively you can get it done professionally.</p>

<p>The AE-1 is now at an age where just about every single one of them will need the film back light seals and mirror bumper pad foam replaced if they still have the original factory seals. I'm 99.9% certain that if you shoot a test roll outdoors in bright sun with the film back edges and ends covered with black electrical tape you will find that your red streaks are gone.</p>

<p>Fortunately it is a relatively minor fix if you are comfortable with attempting the repair. You can download Jon Goodman's repair instruction specific to the AE-1 here:<br>

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Canon_AE1.pdf</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=642777">Jon</a> used to sell a replacement seal kit specific to the AE-1 on eBay (seller ID: interslice) but he appears to have ended all of his listings in early July and tagged them all as "item is no longer available". That's too bad as he was an excellent vendor and his kits were of high quality materials.</p>

<p>Roger - good luck with the repair. It is not all that difficult for many 35mm cameras if you take your time and work carefully (I must have done dozens of Nikon FE/FM series bodies). I always cover the shutter with a small square of box board taped to the film guide rails to protect it from one of my (eventually) inevitable "D'oh" moments.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"... if anyone can <strong>shed any light</strong> on this issue"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've just noticed the ironic humour of that statement. ;-) :-)</p>

<p>Hey guys! I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at the back of the cam since I still have a couple of exposures left on it, but I removed the lens and right away and the foam that's suppose to be there is completely gone. All the remains is adhesive residue. If the front has missing foam pretty sure the rear will too. I'm just glad it's an inexpensive fix.</p>