Recently commented on photos...

davidmccracken

<p>This is only a guess. I, too, liked seeing it on my home page as it was a quick guide to recent comments that had been made on my photos. But I did notice that with the new configuration (where it requires one more click to see those new comments now) my home page loaded much faster. That's a trade-off I'm willing to make. At least now I can access my home page without getting the requisite three or four time-out messages and then I just click on the commented-on photos link to see what's new.</p>

<p>If I'm correct in what's happened, I want to sincerely thank Josh and those who came up with this as a solution to the ongoing time-out problem.</p>

<p>THANKS. THANKS. THANKS.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>It's part of some changes that we hope will speed "workspace" loading. I'm not trying to take any functionality away. But I am trying to move some database intensive stuff OFF of that page. There isn't any reason to load up all recent activity every time someone loads that page. If you want to see the recent photos, you should be able to click and see them as Fred says. Yes, it's an additional click, but I'm hoping that the overall value of a speedy "workspace" will be a worthwhile trade.</p>

<p>That having been said, we may be able to add some stuff back in if performance won't suffer. Give me some time to watch the server stats and we will see what happens.</p>

<p>Of course it's not just recent photo comments that aren't rendered there... what about recent thread posts? Those are also gone, but the link to recent posts only links to recent list of threads I've started ... and in order to see recent threads in which I've participated, I have to make a couple more clicks, and then render a page that shows my entire posting history since the day I joined (which will never render on the first try, or sometimes ever). How about a "recent 100" or something similar?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Of course it's not just recent photo comments that aren't rendered there... what about recent thread posts? Those are also gone, but the link to recent posts only links to recent list of threads I've started ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Incorrect. The threads you have started are just above the responses, the responses are all there however. But that is something that can be improved.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How about a "recent 100" or something similar?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All part of the "let me work on it". The forum activity database pull is really intensive, which is why you get timeouts on full forum history and why active long time forum users took forever to load their workspace previously.</p>

<p>Josh, when I click this link that "is NOT a subscriber only feature. Everyone can see them".<br>

The following appears:<br>

<em><strong>"Sorry, this feature is limited to subscribers of photo.net."</strong></em><br>

I am not a subscrider I can not see my recently commented photos. I do not understand.<br>

<em><strong><br /></strong></em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>The threads you have started are just above the responses, the responses are all there however.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah, sorry. I was blinded by an ocean of Nikon Wednesday thread-starts, and didn't scroll down far enough to notice that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>All part of the "let me work on it".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of course! No rush. Just brainstorming. Thanks for working on the profile page load issue - it's been a log jam for a long time, and I'm sure your db server is going to be very grateful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Josh, when I click this link that "is NOT a subscriber only feature. Everyone can see them".<br /> The following appears:<br /><em><strong>"Sorry, this feature is limited to subscribers of photo.net."</strong></em><br /> I am not a subscrider I can not see my recently commented photos. I do not understand.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmmmmm...</p>

<p>Let me see where the error is, in my memory or in the programming. I know that subscribers get more email alerts for comments. But I didn't think it was the comment history was a subscriber benefit. In any case, something needs to be changed due to the workspace changes. While I want to reward the people who support photo.net by subscribing, I'm not trying to lock out non-subscribers in any way.</p>

<p>More "let me work on it" I suppose.</p>

<p>Josh, currently, 336 of my photos have attracted 1787 comments. Though the workspace loads faster and I believe it is an improvement, I suggest that not all photos that attracted comments should immediately appear when I wish to see just the recent ones. You could perhaps add a feature when you are one click away from seeing recent comments and this page could contain a link to see the rest. Would it not reduce the database requests better than immediately showing all the 336 photos that attracted comments ?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You could perhaps add a feature when you are one click away from seeing recent comments and this page could contain a link to see the rest. Would it not reduce the database requests better than immediately showing all the 336 photos that attracted comments ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jin and I are talking about it. Surprisingly, the answer may be "no". But there may yet be a way around it.</p>

<p>I'd have to say that it is more inconvenient for me to follow my favorite photographers now as when I go to their page I can't, all at one time, see their recent photos for critique and the photos that they have critiqued. I find a lot of interesting new photographers that way. So my interaction with the site, other than my own workspace, is considerably slowed. Thanks anyway, Josh, for all you guys do but in this case it's my opinion that it's a solution in search of a problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks anyway, Josh, for all you guys do but in this case it's my opinion that it's a solution in search of a problem.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While I appreciate the feedback, the constant 504 errors on the workspace and member pages were a serious problem for many MANY people. I'm not saying what we have now is a perfect solution, but it's a start. We can now work on adding things that don't add to server drain.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"... <em>but in this case it's my opinion that it's a solution in search of a problem.</em>"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll have to disagree and say that it's a good solution for what was a very real, and for many members a serious problem. It was certainly a very frustrating problem for anyone with a long history combined with high participation that tried to access their "My Workspace" page. Prior to this change, if you did not get a 504 error, you were faced with a very lonnnnnng wait for the page to load, if it loaded at all. Now it's click, a couple of seconds, and you're there. I for one applaud the solution. :)</p>

<p>Improvements are welcome, Josh.<br /> It is brutal navigating with an iPhone, though. Trying to scroll pages without touching something that is link is near impossible and once the iPhone has accidently been triggered to the wrong page it is a long wait just to get to hit the back arrow to get to the top of the previous page and try to scroll down to a recent thread without touching something that is a link. After my sixth attempt, I gave up. I figured I would just wait till I got home with my Notebook PC.<br /> Maybe we could toggle the option? :)</p>

<p>I really would love a PN iPhone App. :)</p>

Cheers, Mark