recent Retina photograph

A woman I was working with last week said to me "you're a photographer. Can you

take some 'professional' pictures of my 3 year old son?"

I couldn't say no, and thought I'd try to finish off the roll languishing in my Retina IIIc.

Wow, this camera has one wonderful lens with a very nice transition to the out of

focus areas. I thought I'd share one of the photographs below taken with the Retina

and I even used the built in meter!

It is a real challenge to focus on a fast moving child with this camera though...<div>00BiMJ-22671484.jpg.414a71319c0f749e020f5d677efd5ea1.jpg</div>

Kids as photo subjects are difficult to manage if they don't know you. Once you are over that hump, they are easier than adults because they don't have the adult hang-ups about perceived flaws in their appearance. It is often a big help to get the child involved in some activity they like while you are shooting. One trick I have found useful is to sit them in front of a TV. I also inform them that they are not required to smile for the camera.

Thanks for the comments!

About the VC film. It is kind of saturated and so I've used the computer to tone down

the colors in this photograph quite a bit.

I also tried a new technique I hadn't used before. The green plants were kind of

overwhelming so I made a duplicate layer in the form of a sepia toned b&w image. I

faded the sepia toned layer out until the enough color came back but because the

sepia layer was flesh toned, the skin color came back more than the background and

clothing. This method left the lips quite pale, so they were enhanced back to normal.

The technique here kind of left an old timey feel of the way I remember color

photographs looking reproduced in magazines in the 1950's. Just right for a 1950's

kodak camera.

I didn't have any optical prints made from the negatives (I'm a cheapskate!) so I don't

know what the Portra VC film looks like with traditional processing and printing. Of

course, there may not be anywhere left that prints optical prints nowadays...